Newborn lambs poop without eating?

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Avodah, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Avodah

Avodah Well-Known Member

E3AFC4BA-46A3-46FF-98EC-01CB072E441E.jpeg had our first lamb this year! I found him this morning and have been keeping an eye on him every couple hours. He looks so healthy and has been hopping around so I assumed he’s getting fed- I have not seen much nursing going on tho.
    While I was trying to figure out signs that he was feeding, I saw him poop. Can newborn lambs poop without getting fed outside the womb? I just thought that may be an easy sign to check for.

What do you all think, healthy?

2. Hiro

Hiro Well-Known Member

Newborn lambs can poop without having nursed. But, lambs don't usually hop around for long if they haven't gotten anything from their dam in my experience.

Cute lamb.....

3. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

Adorable lamb. Unless he starts showing signs of weakness,I'd assume he's eating

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Unless your going to sit in the pen 24/24, you're unlikely to see him feed and to that end Hiro and Oregon have it right. They nip in and out taking a bit here and there and if you, as an alien, are standing around, so will they. That lamb looks very healthy and more importantly, the teat looks to have been suckled. Stay out of their space and let them get on with it.

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. DragonFlyFarm

DragonFlyFarm Well-Known Member

Avodah Congrats! So exciting to have a new life on the farm....super cute lamb you've got there. Head and ears are up, eyes are bright, back is not hunched. Baby looks bright and happy. If you are really concerned, catch the baby and check to see if it's mouth is warm and feel the belly - you would be able to tell if it was empty. Don't think you need to though - I bet that baby is taking sips when you are not looking..... Does the newcomer have a name yet?