Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, we have a newborn lamb with an extremely large swollen abdomen, it has labored breathing and its jaws seems slightly locked. It also has slight convulsions. There is a second lamb that is perfectly normal. The ewe had fluid discharged since morning, but the lambs were only born late at night. The inside of its mouth is dry and it won't swallow... any advice or ideas?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Oh man, that's hard. I don't know if I can be of any help.

Has the lamb nursed yet?
If not, can you milk the mum and then try feeding the lamb some of the milk? Even just a few drops in its mouth at a time. You might have to feed it by tube. I haven't done that yet, but I know a few that have and they say it works wonders.

Do you have any known mineral differences in your area? My area, we have trouble with Selenium so most shepherds give their lambs a shot, but this starts with paralysis of the back legs and moves up from there. I've been having more luck feeding my mums high SE food, but it's still an issue.

Sounds almost like tetanus, but a bit young for that I would think.

Sorry, I can't be of more help. Hopefully, by bumping this thread, someone with more experience can see this and make some suggestions.

·
In memoriam
79,017 Posts
The inside of its mouth is dry and it won't swallow... any advice or ideas?
If it has no sucking reflex it probably won't survive.
Did the ewe have her CD&T vaccines and boosters?
Check it's temperature and don't try to give it anything until it's at or a little above normal.

A lamb that young with serious problems is hard to treat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts