Newborn kid, paralyzed back legs? Need help please!

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ark, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

I'm posting for a friend who woke up this morning to find that one of her does had kidded with twins. One of them was dead with blood coming out of his nose, and the other seems paralyzed in his back legs. Seems to have no feeling.
    Gave him 1/4th cc of Bo-Se this morning.
    Has held him up to nurse and he nurses well, and pees when held up.
    Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    ARK

2. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Ark
    Never had this particualr circumstance, but occasionally one of my kids will have one or both back legs that are weak or appear kinda out-of-joint...to the point that I have to hold them to drink. Different producers handle this differently....I always hold them up, and every time the kid has come around and developed strength in that/those legs after a few days. Some would see it as alot of work to help the kid drink, but it will be worth it if the kid does continue to develop. Oh, how I hope the kid isn't truly paralyzed. I have never seen that, and I think that would be horrible to deal with......hope it gets better.

3. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

Sorry, no experience here either but per the symptoms I'd have done the same, thinking it was selenium deficiency.

When the experienced folks get to this thread, I'd like to ask how long it takes for a kid to respond to Bo-Se if indeed the problem is selenium deficiency.

That's sad about the little one that died :( . Looking forward to hear about the guy that lived and how he's responding.

4. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Thank yall - I did definitely tell her that if it was me, I'd work with him for days more before I even considered giving up.
    When she pinches his front legs, he jerks them away, when she pinched his back legs there was NO response at all.
    I hope someone with some experience with this can reply!
    Thank you all!

5. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

With one dead with blood coming from the nose, and the other paralysed does sound as if the mom pawed or laid on them. When you have kids who need bo-se they are weak in the rear they are not paralysed. Sounds like a broken back from pawing or being laid on. Vicki

6. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

this is sad. it sounds like a blockage/injury in the spinal cord. if it would be only selenium/E deficiency he would still react to touch. if that would be my kid i would put it down and not prolong his suffering.

7. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

I did suggest to her that the mom might have injured the one she found dead and maybe even this one. But, she didnt think so because she is being "such an attentive mother". Also, she is a second freshener - last year she was an excellent mother as well.

I dont know if the baby is suffering, if it doesnt have feeling, but she is going to give it another day before she does anything.

Thanks everyone for the help - this is so sad.

8. goatmarm

goatmarm Well-Known Member