Newborn First Aid, Please

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Tango, May 6, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Itchy farrowed during the night. This morning I found a little girl by herself, apparently trampled or sat on. She was still alive but barely breathing. I brought her in and have been warming her and blowing into her mouth. She started to move her limbs and head but is very weak. When she started to squeal a tiny bit I thought we were home free but she is too weak to return to her litter just yet. Can I bottle feed her/tube her sugar water? Whole cow's milk? Anything? I found her 45 minutes ago and have warmed her up slowly in a warm room and with my own body. I'd say she 100% better but the thought crosses my mind that she was born impaired and Itchy trampled her on purpose. Any thought?

2. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

3. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thank you fin29. He is on a pig blanket right now and has leveled off in improvement. I think he either was born with an impariment or the trampling caused an impairment. I'm going to feed him according to the informatin in the link you gave and watch him before I make any more decisions.

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

After a couple of hours of warmth and rest, the little piglet is fine. He is back with his mom and litter mates and competing for colostrum the way it should be. Apparently he got stepped on and then his body heat ran out and the chill weakened him. After a nap on the pig blanket, he was able to stand and from there he started to walk and to run around looking for milk. It is quite a sight in the sow pen right now with thirteen little black piglets. I have a couple of photos I want to post when I get some free time later.

5. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Tango,

Do you clip the tails and tusks of your piglets? When we raised hogs we had to do that to each litter. We would wait until the sow finished and box up her babies and try to lock her into her farrow house and take the babies to where she couldn't hear them and do the clipping. Sometimes we couldn't take them away too far because of the cold and one of us would have to try to keep the sow off of us while the other finished the job and got the babies back into the farrow house.

I remember one time, one sow almost got me. Somehow she busted through some panels and I couldn't get over some others fast enough and she almost had me. I was kicking and screaming and hubby got there with his steel toed boots and pitch fork and saved me. I sure thought I was hog food.

That has been several years ago.

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

BeeFree, I don't do any of that. Most of my piglets will be butchered before 80 pounds, all the males are buchered between 25 - 40. I don't even ear mark them. They stay pretty much the way they were born until butchering time. I'm glad too. I don't want to deal with an angry sow, even at the small size my sows are :)