Newborn doeling with milk in udder.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by PlowGirl, May 13, 2006.

1. PlowGirl

PlowGirl Well-Known Member

I have a doeling, born on May 9th, who appears to have an udder and milk comes out. I was examining her, (her mother has a 3rd teat) and noticed that the baby has a rounded udder already. A natural milker, I tested it, and yes a couple of white drops came out. Is this totally bizarre to anyone other than me, or completely normal.

2. cmharris6002

cmharris6002 Well-Known Member Supporter

It happens, it's from the mothers hormones :)

3. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Yup, it's mom's hormones (human babies are often born with enlarged breasts, too, for the same reason). She'll dry up shortly.

Kathleen

4. PlowGirl

PlowGirl Well-Known Member

Thanks ya'll. I was beginning to wonder if she was some mutant milking machine. Her mama is a fine milker, heavy producer with lots of cream, but the extra teat. A doeling from one of her previous sets has 4 teats, so that was what I was checking for.

5. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I have heard of this before, and sometimes it happens to older doelings as well. With an older doeling - it is called a precocious udder - and usually indicates a fine, heavy milker.

niki

6. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

It also happens in humans...

7. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Yeah, you just have a REALLY good milk doeling there. And yes, it can happen to humans too, I was born like that. I didn't know that it was because of the mothers hormones though; I learn something new about every day. THanks. Bye.

8. Doeseatoats

Doeseatoats Active Member

The theory I hear on the show circut is not to milk them. I have seen dry yealings with them so if it doesn't go a way there is no harm. They will dry up on there own or when they do come to milk it will be okay. Also, if they are uneven they will probably come into milk even.
    If you try and milk them out you open the udder up to infection. It is a normal thing and yes, it does indicate a good milker. Good luck on a keeper....:) Linda

9. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

Hmm.... I'm sorry but I have to ask.. for those humans that are "born like that" you mean - but without the milk, RIGHT??!!!!!!! Please put my mind to rest there! ;-)

10. Bishoujo

Bishoujo Well-Known Member

Human babies can be born with milk in their breast tissue, male or female. It is a by-product of the mothers hormones. It used to be referred to as "Witch's Milk".

11. cjb

cjb Well-Known Member Supporter

Wow. I hope ours isn't born that way ;-) I wonder if they make teeny little bra's ...

12. Bishoujo

Bishoujo Well-Known Member

*L*

I hope mine isn't either, the little one is cooking up but I have to wait till december to find out if i have a little "witch" or not.

13. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Nope! I was born with milk coming OUT. Kinda gross, and REALLY REALLY weird, my mom said that it stopped after a little while, not more than a week I'm sure.