Newbies

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NWSneaky, Mar 17, 2005.

1. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Please allow I unload this too --- a few years ago a newbie decided they would earn their daily existence by trapping critters for pelts ----- fine and dandy --- EXCEPT they caught and cut the throats of three of my best beagles; they were a forty-year endeavor on my part and very precious to me. BUT all they could see was those mutts messing with their traps.

2. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

How did the trappers get onto your property?

3. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

Sneaky, might want to be a little more clear what you are referring to. The dog gun post? You won't get a lot of sympathy on this board. If your dogs were off your property, then it seems to me that you should have done a better job at containing them. If they were on your property, you should have either been more careful about allowing someone to trap or pressed charges against the trapper if they didn't have permission to be there. A lot of folks on this board have lost a lot of animals to dogs. Once a dog tastes blood, there is not much hope at deterring it from killing again. It isn't the dog's fault. It is the owners who can't be bothered to keep their dogs under control. I've put down my own dogs/cows/whatever that I felt were problem animals. I don't like it but it is part of that dominion thing.

4. NWSneaky

NWSneaky Well-Known Member

Put it this way, I owned over 1200 acres. Judge not lest ye be judged,

5. oz in SC

oz in SC Well-Known Member

So these guys were trespassing?

Prosecute them or amke it VERY uncomfortable for them to be there.

I can attest to the dog/killing thing.
    Our little 'Matilda developed a taste for killing our chickens and after going through about thirty or so she is no longer with us...

However we didn't kill her(came VERY colse)we found her a home.

6. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Then maybe you need to control who and when people come onto your acres. My LGD's do just that - who, when, what and they are not afraid to bite or kill. Now if you said your property had been taken over by theives and there was nothing you or the law could have done about it then you might get some sympathy (its between sex and syphilis in the dictionary) from me. Otherwise its just you not protecting what is yours.

Unlike the Liberal Republics of Washington, Oregon, etc, here in Texas I can defend my property with LETHAL force if necessary, although you would have to be a real man to stand up to 135 lb determined LGD's. Your first gunshot to kill one would have me on you like stink on poop and if you have shot one or more of my dogs I shoot first and talk later.