Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by trnubian, Oct 1, 2005.

1. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

Ok, I know squat about what a good show English Spot is supposed to look like. We have a golden Englich Spot that we got this last spring for my younger brother to show in 4-H. We have been told he is a really nice rabbit, and that we should breed him. I don't know what makes him nice. I want to know what I should be looking for.

We don't really want to get a female to breed because we don't know what we will do with all of the babies. The breeder we bought him forom is really impressed with him, and says that we could get people to reserve the babies, but how would we do this?

Houdini, as he (the rabbit) has been dubbed, won his breed at the 4-H show this year over a Sr. Doe. (He was a Jr. Buck). And the breeder wanted us to take him to the National Show and show him this year. We have decided not to this year because we really don't understand the whole rabbit show world quite yet. We show dairy goats and I dont understand how doe Rabbits can be shown against buck rabbits. We don't show our doe goats against buck goats.

Can anyone with show experience enlighten me?

I have a piture of our rabbit, but I don't know how to post it here. Could I e-mail someone the picture so that they could help me see what other people see?

Thanks

2. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

I don't know anything about English Spot conformation, since they have a totally different body type from the two breeds I raise, but if the breeder you got him from liked him that much, he's probably very nice. You'd need to look over the breed standard (available from www.arba.net) to get an idea of what to look for.

Yeah, the rabbit show thing is a bit different than goats. More like dog shows maybe? Within the breed and color variety, rabbits are shown in either four or six classes depending on breed (I think English Spots are shown in four?). You have Senior Bucks, Senior Does, 6-8 month old Bucks and does (larger breeds), Junior Bucks, and Junior Does. Bucks and does are shown against each other--and yes, does often beat bucks. Best bunny wins. The winners of each class then compete against each other for the best rabbit in that variety. The Best of Variety winners go on to compete for Best of Breed, and then the best rabbit of each breed goes up for Best in Show.

As far as selling the babies...next time someone compliments you on your rabbit, ask them if they'd be interested in one of his babies if you bred him. :)

3. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

Thanks for your help. Iwas feeling a bit lost. :)

I have had rabbits, but that was 10 years ago, I've slept since then. My father used to raise dutch bunnies for meat but that was all. I don't think I could eat any bunnies that came from here. Goat on the other hand...it's gooood. So is their milk :D

Thanks again.