Newbie worming questions

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dk_40207, May 17, 2006.

1. dk_40207

dk_40207 Well-Known Member

Okay. The girls are several weeks old now, but I don't know their weight. It is time to worm(them and their momma), but I need some concrete answers on how and how much :confused:

Blessings,
    Christina

2. TennesseeMama23

TennesseeMama23 Well-Known Member

Go to www.fiascofarm.com and find their weight chart and get you a tape measure and find out their weights (only works for dairy goats--if that is what you have).

How much to give them depends on what kind of wormer you have...

What do you have?

ETA: All wormers are given orally--I worm mine at about 6 weeks old.
    Valblazen is the best kid wormer (and the only wormer that will kill tapes)

I use Cydectin pour-on is a good overall wormer (orally)--no milk with hold
    time (some say not to give it to kids under 4 months--I disagree)

Ivermectin--unknown milk with hold (it is used in humans also, so if we get any it won't kill us)

Don't even bother with safeguard.

Pour-ons you give label dose
    injectables--you give double dose (not sure on valblazen)

3. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

Valvazen Cattle and Sheep dewormer Suspension 1cc/10 lbs by mouth, only wormer for kids under 4 months old, give every 21 days

Cydectin pour on for cattle, 1cc/15-18 lbs, but give orally, purple and smells like gasoline, zero milk withhold, DO NOT give to kids or pregnant goats

Ivermectin 1% injectible 1cc/25lbs BY MOUTH ok for pregnant does, not kids

The Valbazen and Cydectin come in fairly large containers (500mls and up and are kinda expensive, but will last awhile) Ivermectin comes in a little glass vial. Get some syringes from the feedstore where you buy it and pull it up and give orally without the needle attached, repeat worming in 21 days to get the eggs that have hatched after the first worming

4. TennesseeMama23

TennesseeMama23 Well-Known Member

Can I ask you why you say DO NOT give Cydectin and Ivermectin to kids? (I hear/see that on these boards and another) What are the side effects? The vet (2-large animal vets actually) told me all I wrote and I know of a couple of very reputable breeders that use Cydectin and Ivermectin on their kids. I see that said all over forums, but not by any real life people. I was embarrassed when I told the vet you weren't supposed to give Cydectin to kids cause he said I was wrong and asked me where I heard that. (on a message board.)

Not trying to start anything, but really genuinely wanting to know, what happens if you do give those wormers to kids? (I have given it to all of mine).

Thanks
    Melanie