newbie to rabit raising, several questions

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by wizzard, Jul 6, 2005.

1. wizzard

wizzard future nomad

well, i have been thinking about it for a little while now, finaly decided today. i bought 1 female dutch. $25 with cage and bottle and some food. only bought the 1 female cause i wasnt sure how well they would do outside in my area. i live in western KY. what kind of temperature can rabbits withstand? the cage is in the garage. full shade, and a door is always open, i would say it prolly gets up to 90 on the hottest days of the year. is this going to be ok? or will it not survive? also, are dutches any good for eating? any tips/tricks?

i thought i would keep the 1 bunny for about a week or 2 to make sure it survives, then buy a male. im wanting to start off extremely slow. i hear they can get out of hand pretty quick.

2. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

Dutch make great pets and show rabbits. I like them as at 4 weeks I can pull whats not showable and fatten for the table. They are smaller size, but grow at about 2/3 the rate of NZ to 4 pounds from my experience. It takes about 15 weeks after being born to butcher at a nice weight. I'd give them some open space. Many of us have barns with a roof and partial sides. Need shade, but also air flow. What color have you got?
    Lance
    BTW-be it 1 or 100, you still just have dutch. I have a barn full of dutch now or I have one dutch in my room. Never is it dutches.

3. wizzard

wizzard future nomad

shes black and white. mostly black. thanx for the "dutch not dutches" tip. i didnt know that. the garage has a little airflow all day from the door being mostly off the hinges, the human door, not the car door. it is also shaded by 2 large oak trees. i would say about 3/4 of the roof is shaded 75% of the day. also normaly i open the big door around noon and leave it till dark. hopefuly this will be cool enough conditions for it. wont know for sure for a few days.

4. Reauxman

Reauxman Well-Known Member

As long as there is a roof, it will be OK, no need for a tree over the roof.