Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adopting a friend's Pygmy goat and plan to buy a couple more. I am in the process of building them a very nice pen, but have a question about fencing. I looked into the "goat fence " from TSC, but that's quite a bit more than what I had planned on spending. What I have now is a roll of 48" high all purpose fencing with the squares in the fence being 2" by 4". Will this do ok for the pygmys or is there a real advantage to the "goat fence" ?

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
Goats will trash the regular all purpose 2"x4" galvanized fencing quick. It's not worth fencing with it.

If the pygmies you are getting don't have horns, you can get the field or cattle fence that is the same brand as the goat fence, and it will work just as good. However, if the goats you're looking at do have horns, you're gonna have to get the goat fencing. Goats get their heads stuck when they have horns.

You could run several strands of electric.

Or you could get cattle panels which are very heavy duty but are easy to move. Once again, though, cattle panels have openings that goats can get their heads stuck in if they have horns.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.