Newbie ?'s...long post

Discussion in 'Goats' started by janceejan, Dec 27, 2005.

1. janceejan

janceejan Active Member

I know this will be a long post, but I appreciate all the advice and information I get from this site and board. As I have said before I am new at this and only came into goat raising by one of my DH obsessions.

I wouldn’t take for them, but I am one of those who prefers to research a new venture without jumping in head first, which is what I was doing until DH pulled up in the yard with two nanny and a bottle feed 2 month old buck.

This is the setup we have currently. About 8 acres of typical west texas scrub land, mesquites, prickly pears and those grass/weeds/bush stuff. We have one pen that is about 30x30 with a shelter in one corner, old bathtub for the watering hole and a couple of tables made for resting. The ground was hard, but no rain, and now is just soft dirt about 6 inches deep. Our three goats roam all day and come into the pen at night for corn treat and a little feed. They also have a roll of sudan in the pasture.

I am helping out a friend by wintering her 16 goats; buck, wether and 14 PG mommas. She bought land and didn’t check her fencing, turned goats loose and they kept going….lol.

Now all 19 roam and forage all day, my three still go in the pen at night, hers get no extra feed, still have access to the sudan hay, do get some corn treat, lots of fresh water. We have a barn that we are converting to the goat house, currently that is a 20x50 area, dirt over concrete floor,(used to be a turkey barn) a few pallets and some straw, for her goats to get in out of the weather in.

My questions are this: my previous post on lump…some felt in could be CL and suggested isolation pen. How big should it be, how far away from others, do you set it up like my other pen, with a cover for weather? Our land is not currently separated into sections, just one big area.

For the Buck….should he be separated…all are bred, but having this problem with my PG momma smelling like she is in heat, and stress and all. How big of an area for him, can the wether go with him, or stay with the mommas?

Worming….mine were done back in Oct when he bought them, both mommas are due soon. Don’t know when or if hers were wormed? All of her mommas are PG, due in March. Should I do hers on all, or none? They don’t show any signs of needing it. All healthy looking and shiny, eat well, eyelids are good color. With the exception of the one lump on the front of one.

I know it is a long post, but do appreciate any ideas.

2. crazygoatgirl

crazygoatgirl Well-Known Member

The goat that has the lump needs to be moved...preferrably off the property. You do not need that around any of the preg. does. Yes if the buck is donme breeding everyone you could put him by himself. My buck pen is about 36' long and 20' wide with one end being shelter in the barn (2 bucks max.). Yes it would be great to put the wether in witrh the buck...he will scream without company and they both need a similar diet too. You can put your buck pen within the doe pen if you like, that way if someone does truely come in heat they will hang out by the buck pen and you can put her in to be bred.
    As far as deworming...I would get berries from a few of the girls and have a fecal run on them. That way you really know if you need to deworm or not.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

The doe with the lump needs to be as far from the others as you can get her. The opposite side of your property. It doesn't have to be a big area. I had a doe that had a lump on her teat one year and I isolated her in a four cattle panel pen with a calf shed for shelter. It turned out to be a sliver of wood in her teat causing the lump which was easy to fix but I would rather be safe than sorry. The cattle panels can be bleached after useing for an isolation pen and I can use them for my herd again. Same for the calf shed as it was plastic. The area I stuck her in was on the back end of my property. Your doe needs to have an adequate shelter from the wind and cold. It may not be CL, but better to be safe......
    The buck really should be separated and the wether will make him a great companion.
    If the preg does were mine and looked healthy, I would probably just wait on the worming till they kid and worm them the day they kid. Or you can have fecals done on a few of them right now to get an idea of the herds worm status. Just what I would do..... :)

4. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

I would not Keep CL on my farm.
    We have our bucks live alone and only with does for breeding. but other leave buck in year round.
    Find out about worming in your area of the country. FInd a local goat farm you trust.
    Liz

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

I wouldn't either....but she needs to keep her in isolation UNTIL she has her tested to find out if it is CL......

6. janceejan

janceejan Active Member

Currently we have her in isolation, no change in lump, have her on other side of farm, so sad, she can see the others, but can't get to them. The vet here knows nothing about goats, said he will "try" and make it out before the weekend. How long does it take one of these lumps to manifest? She has been here about 2 weeks, didn't notice lump until last week, could have come in with it. There is no hair loss or change in size or squishyness. Still hard like a rock. This lump is down low, about even with her front legs, directly in the middle. In the meantime, cant get ahold of the lady who brought her, still on vacation, otherwise I plan on her picking her up regardless.