newbie replies to advice about goats

Discussion in 'Goats' started by victoriafarm, Mar 22, 2005.

1. victoriafarm

victoriafarm Member

Dear trish danielle and beth

thank you so much for your thoughtful replies.

my conclusion: chickens now, goats at best a year or two from now or never

thinking ahead about goat pasture:

we intend to have a 10 foot grass perimeter around the 3 acres. as a form of supplemental weed control

should/could we plant something for goats?
    could we teather them to a 5 foot rope so they'd not eat the veggies?

it would be way too expensive to fence the whole thing

If we can't grow most or all of what they need to eat, it seems unlikely we'd be taking them on.
    thanks so much. its a splendid spring day but I can't tear myself away from the computer, I'm getting so much out of HOMESTEADING TODAY

all blessings,
    carol

2. tduerson

tduerson Well-Known Member

3. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

not all goats will respect electric fence,
    i understand about having lots of space where they could eat, but not fencing it for them , if you have a few leash trained you an walk them out there for a while each day ( this is a good job for a child of about 8-12) let them eat, and then back to the pen , but you would need to have the boss doe leashed for the walk there and back , otherwise your garden , raspberries,strawberries, apple trees, etc will be in serious danger !
    lots of folks out in bigger acereages end up fencing the areas they DONT want the goats IN , and then let them range on the outside of the fence would this perhaps work for you ?

4. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

My pasture is orchard grass and red clover. I do supplement with a cup of alfalfa pellets each to make sure they're getting their calcium and protein. I also take them for daily walks over to a brushy spot between my orchard and the neighbor's property so they can keep down the blackberry brambles. In the fall I let them into the orchard (supervised!) so they can take care of the fallen apples. My goats are bright eyed, bouncy, with glossy coats, and they're actually looking a bit chubby right now.

A disclaimer; my goats are Cashmere, not dairy goats, so the specific feed requirements may differ. There are a lot of people successfully milking goats that just get browse and graze, though. They may not get as much milk as people who supplement the goat's diets with grain, but they also don't have the feed expense.

5. Thumper/inOkla.

Thumper/inOkla. Well-Known Member

I free range and fence them out of the garden and so forth as bethlaf mentioned and I get a pint to pint 1/2 per doe per milking as a low average, (sometimes 3 times per day)with the kids on mom.

6. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

Hi,

Tethering a goat isnt good as they will get into trouble, and probably hurt/kill themselves eventually.

The pasture that my goats are in we didnt plant anything special for them. What is in the pasture when we bought the acreage is what the goats eat. We supplement with a alfalfa/grass mix throughout the year.

7. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

We fence them out of the garden and orchard and in the pasture so they don't roam off. We hope they don't decide to ignore the fences, but sometimes they do.

8. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Whatever you do with your goat, do not tether her. They don't do well by themselves. Recently sold a goat who was never tethered and she wouldn't eat or drink. Goats need a separate area that is well fenced and make sure they are well fed. Ours very seldom climb on the fence and never get out as they are completely fenced in. They are happy, well adjusted goats. We do use Lixit type waterers so no more bucket brigade.

9. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

Ok. I am ready to be fried.....

We trained our goats to tether. They hollered like crazy the first few days. Now I bring the leash and they run to the gate. I don't tether them if I'm not home, and I keep an ear out for trouble. They are fine, we get oodles of milk...though I will tell you that tulip poplar makes the milk taste bad.

We have 3 nannies and 2 billies. They go out one at a time for 2-3 hours daily, and keep the briers out of my woods at the edges. I can't fence this area, so I found an alternative.

10. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

I am buying sheep panels from the local farm auctions this spring. I'm creating a portable pen, so to speak. The goats have a fenced area, but I want to be able to move them around the yard from time to time, to clean up weeds and mow my lawn! :haha: I'll be putting five or six panels together and connecting them with clips at the corners. One or two metal fence posts, easily hand driven, for support and stability... then I can move the pen around the yard as they clean up whatever grasses and weeds (though I'm checking for poisonous ones in each area first!) are there. Just a thought...they will still go back in the shed in incliment weather and the trees will provide shade where the pens are.

Sarah