Newbie Question..

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by ourfather, Oct 16, 2005.

1. ourfather

ourfather Well-Known Member

Whenever we get our homestead, I'd love to have a cow for milking.

I've read in Finland where once the milk cow gets too old they eat it :eek: Is this normal in America?

I would consider my milk cow more of a pet, so I couldn't eat it. Do cows actually get too old to produce good milk?

Thanks! Sorry if it's a weird question...

Kat

2. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I think that I'd send her off for pet food before I dig a hole the size of a cow, and then struggle trying to get it in the hole. Call me callous but we all know that farm animals have uses way before we decide to get them. Plenty of time to prepare oneself for the inevitable. Are we without feelings about it? No, but I'm not willing to stand by and watch an animal suffer and die of old age either.

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a neighbor with a backhoe, and the few times he has been unable to dig it for us, we drug the cow to the back hill and let the coyotes, vultures, and our dogs take care of them. That may sound callous, but its completely natural and good food for the critters. Of course our back hill is on the back of 100 acres so its not like its in our backyard. Our cows are homebodies. They don't like to travel and I'd rather the old girls died here at home than be shot after being freaked out at the auction barn by the young punk out to impress the crowd, shoved onto a trailer with a bunch of other cows with the aid of a hotshot, and taken on a ride to a slaughter house where I don't know if they die a quick humane death or not. I know some folks don't have any choice but to sell old or cull cows this way, but since I do, I'd rather not use an auction. And when I say that I prefer them to die of old age at home, that doesn't mean they suffer and die slow. If they get sick unto dying in their old age, we put them down with a well-placed bullet. Dying of old age does not always mean pain. Animals can slip away from old age peacefully. Its too bad they all don't, but if one is suffering we put it down. No one wants to see an animal suffer...........
    Its the same reason why I butcher my goats here at home. I *know* they died a quick and painless death. Something I can't guarantee at the slaughter house. Our butcher steers also die here at home. Thankfully we have a man who comes out, shoots the steer as he grazes, then hauls him to the butcher's to be cut into steaks and roasts. He is good at his job and the steer dies happy with grass in his mouth. Call me a sentamentalist, but thats the way I like it.......<shrug> Again, I know not all people are lucky enough to be able to do things this way, but I am, so I do.......

Emily Dixon
    Ozark Jewels
    Boers, Nubians, Lamanchas and Alpines

4. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

makes sense to me too! If I put a dead cow in my woods though I'd have bears all over it and I don't want to encourage them to be around with kids about. I get the impression that this thread was started to bait people into a meat versus vegetarian diet.
    My feeling is that if god didn't want us to eat animals then why did he make them outa meat?

5. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, I'm certainly not a vegetarian and totally believe in eating some meat. Just come take a look in my freezers.<grin> I think I butchered around 30 goats this year and we have done one beef so far, have another scheduled for this winter. There are some of my animals that I get too attached to to be able to eat them though. Its a mindset. If I know an animal is meant for the freezer, I distance myself from it and when the time comes its not that bad. They get names such as T-Bone, Roast Beef, Dinner, Lamb-Chop, Chevon, Cabrito, Chuck Roast, etc. It sounds silly, but it does make things easier.=)

Emily Dixon
    Ozark Jewels
    Boers, Nubians, Lamanchas and Alpines

6. lgslgs

lgslgs Well-Known Member

You could train her as a lady ox, pack animal, or riding cow. Might as well have working pets.

Our little calf Connie is 5 months old today, and is coming along nicely with her lady ox training. She is also almost big enough so that when I stand in cow riding position I have to be on tip toes. We halter lead her while I ride using my toes as "training wheels", and we do standing work where I take my feet of the ground for 5 seconds or so while she supports my weight.

Lynda

7. ourfather

ourfather Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the guidance and tips!

I'm not going to get walmart beef, yikes!

Hubby's uncle breeds both milk and beef cows and has them together.

Kat