Newbie question. Roundworms in pigs?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by gardenrosie, Nov 13, 2017 at 11:12 AM.

1. gardenrosie

gardenrosie New Member

This is our first year raising pigs. We wanted to pasture raise them supplemented with non GMO feed. We found a breeder that raised their pigs the same way. We purchased 2 piglets and asked about deworming. He gave us a great story about how dewormers are over used and they have never had worms so they don't use a dewormer. It all sounded great...our pigs are now almost 6 months old and around 200 lbs. (We measured them and used the formula we found online to calculate their weight.) We are getting ready to butcher them tomorrow so we moved them yesterday into a pen close to where we will be slaughtering them so they have a couple days to get used to it before hand. So they are not stressed by being moved the day of. Well one of them did not want to be moved and was very stressed. During the move we noticed about a foot long roundworm hanging from it's butt. I have been looking for info online and most everything talks about the dangers of trichinosis and how to freeze meat or cook it completely to kill them. Most everything on roundworms is about deworming beforehand. Our pigs look and act healthy they eat well and have gained weight as the breeder said they would. The property we raise them on has not been used for farming for many years and when it was it was a potato farm for many years. So I'm guessing the pigs came to us with the worms. This is also our first year with goats but they have not been on the same pasture. So here's my newbie question. Do I need to worry about getting roundworms from eating the pork from our pigs? Should I deworm them first and delay slaughtering for the recommended dewormer time? Can my goats get roundworms if I put them on the pasture that my pigs were on this year?

2. gerold

gerold Well-Known Member Supporter

Ivermec is what we use most around here. wait 45 days to butcher after using Ivermec. Some report that you can butcher a goat that has worms and eat the goat without getting worms. Some reports degree with that.

I prefer to worm any animal when i get them and keep them in a small area i use for that. I have yet to find anyone selling animals say there animal has ever had worms. Most farmers have told me they use wormer every so often.

Lot of wormers on the market some don't work on some animals.

3. haypoint

haypoint Well-Known Member Supporter

Many people don't know their livestock are full of parasites. Perhaps the guy that sold them to you doesn't know he has a problem.
    Worming all livestock when they first get to the farm might be a good policy. But, as long as you have wildlife on your land, you are going to get worms.
    Some wormers work on some worms, but not others. So you need to cover the bases and use a combination. Your Vet can guide you and then recommend what to use the next time you worm.
    I don't think worms get into the meat, but they do destroy heart, liver and lungs.

4. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

Agreed. Any incoming stock double deworm, vaccinate and quarantine downhill, downwind, downwater, down chores 30 days.

gerold likes this.