newbie question dont laugh

Discussion in 'Goats' started by wildhorse, Jan 13, 2007.

1. wildhorse

wildhorse Well-Known Member

2. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I can't recall what those are called, but it's ok. They are common in a couple dairy breeds and pygmies. They're nothing to worry about. :)

3. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

WATTLES!!! Aren't they cute?? They serve no practical purpose but they are quite common among some of the dairy breeds and pygmies. :)

4. wildhorse

Im trying to learn all that I can... :) Ive got a date wed...Hubby called home from work and had spoke to a co worker than just happens to breed nubians so were going wed to look.She said something to him about a freind of hers that had an arrival of triplets and that they may give it away.....Knowing my luck it will be a buck and hubby will want to bring it home....I want 2 does..... :rolleyes:
    remind me that I dont need a little buck to bottle feed...

5. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

You COULD just have the little buck wethered, I'm sure he'd make a great cart goat. :)

6. kerrinatoz

kerrinatoz Well-Known Member

Yes, I have a little doe that has oly one wattle!! The breeder thought it was in the lines until one day she discovered that one particular doeling was "diswattling" (That cannot be a word!! :shrug: ) all the other kids.

7. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I laughed :p

8. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Glad I wasn't drinking anything or me computer screen would be soaked...I'm sorry, it made me laugh!! :shrug: :) Poor things.

I had a doeling born with one wattle under her ear and one wattle on her cheek...both on the same side of her face!

9. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

LOL! Rarely do I actually laugh out loud when I read something. I may grin or chuckle, but THIS time I guffawed~!

10. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

:rotfl: :rotfl: i like the term diswatteling :)

11. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

Wattles don't bother me, we have quite a few...Our Boer/Saanen buck throws wattles on a regular basis.
    What I don't like are "wattles gone awry," as in the case of Fiona here;
    [​IMG]
    If you look under her right ear you can see one of her wattles is an earring. She is not the first kid we have seen born like this. The other was a backwards Kinder doe.
    I should have removed them in this case, I think. I cringe everytime I look at her. It really is a personal choice though. Some breeders despise the look and so remove the wattles at birth. They serve no real purpose and in some cases abcesses occur in that are due to wattles that did not develop properly. Can cause quite the scare.
    However, it does go along with her name very well. Shows the Ogre side...lol She is 1/2 Saanen, 1/4 Boer, 1/4 LaMancha/Alpine out of the aforementioned Boer/Saanen buck.

12. wildhorse

Its not a bad thing really Im just trying to learn every thing I can Im going to go wed and look at some nubians.....Sure wish yall could go with me...I want to do a good job selecting 2.

13. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

LOLOL!!!!!!!!

PS: would that be "de-wattling"? Or maybe a "wattle-ectomy".

14. rranch

rranch Well-Known Member

In the NPGA(pygmies)the wattles being out of wack like that are not considered a mismark by the nat'l standards. I had a little wether with one under his ear and the other on the neck. He is still cute and loved him just the way he is.

15. goatlover270

goatlover270 Well-Known Member

:rotfl: Can we SAY here we go a "diswattling" diswattling to you .... :rotfl:
    Sorry couldn't help it, just brought back the Christmas show years ago, "The Rasins" did it. Some of you may remember... well anyway.... :rolleyes: dry humor, maybe but it was funny at the moment.
    I don't have pygmys or any others that have that, but it isn't a bad thing, I learned.
    Yall have a good day and God Bless! :angel:

16. wildhorse

"diswattling" sounds like a pregnant lady..lol

17. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, I didn't laugh, but I DID smile........My friend calls them 'goat jewelry'. I don't have any goats with wattles - but I think they are cute.

Niki

18. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

One of the piglets we have has those, it looks really funny on a pig! Cute on a goat though.