Newbie question about "starting" plants...

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by RedTartan, Jul 19, 2006.

1. RedTartan

RedTartan Icelandic Sheep Supporter

I'm new to gardening. I've just bought a house that has NO flowers and a few overgrown shrubs. My SIL has lots of beautiful flowers and herbs and I know she'd give me starts from them. My questions are:

How much of a plant do I need to "start" another plant?

Do I put it in dirt and keep it moist or do I put it in a glass until I see roots?

How can I start larger plants like lilac bushes, roses, or butterfly bushes?

Thanks for your help,

:) RedTartan

P.S. This is a cross-post also found in the Frugal Thread on the Country Families forum.

2. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

At this time of the year I would not try and start plants in pots because of the heat. Woody shrubs and vines (azeleas, clematis..) that have low growing branches can be weighted down into the soil. I loosen the soil under the branch where there is a node in the primary branch or where two or more side branches come off the main branch. Push the branch into the soil and place a rock on top, mulch and keep watered. Next year 9 times out of ten the branch will have set it own roots. Then you cut it from the host plant. Lilacs will make side shoots that can be dug out and planted in the fall or spring. Most perinenals can be divided in the spring and fall, then replanted.
    Ivy can be started in water or in soil that is kept moist.

3. shadowwalker

shadowwalker Well-Known Member

For Herbs, and I have done it this way for years. Wait until fall when the plants die back. Take a shovel and cut a herb verticle into two, three, four pieces (however many pieces you want). Dig it up and fill in the spot that is a hole now in the plant. Take the new portion to where you want to grow it and dig your hole put it in.Mulch over it and in the spring when its ready it will start growing. I have maybe lost less than 10 plants out of several hundred tries.

4. RedTartan

Shadow, correct me if I'm wrong. I assume by "herb verticle" you mean the entire plant, top to roots, right?

Lynne, I think I have a large azelea. It has two woody trunk-like offshoots at the base about 2 inches in diameter. Is it possible to separate this into two?

Also, can anyone tell me about cuttings? I need landscaping plants. My SIL has lots and I'm sure I could get cuttings but I don't think she'll let me dig anything up for divisions...

Thanks again,

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

6. RedTartan

Thanks, Cyngbaeld, that's a great site.

7. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Freeplants.com is a good website although he is moving toward the business side of internet marketing. Also try www.landspro.com it is a forum similar to this with tons of good info and nice folks.