newbie pig ?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by neal68, Sep 2, 2005.

1. neal68

neal68 Well-Known Member

what is the best breed of pig for a 1st time pig person to get? for meat. we have 5 kids from 3yrs to 16 yrs old. also when is the best time of the year to start up with a piglet

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Personally I prefer the Yorkshire/Duroc cross as for breed. The animal needs to be purchased at 50 lbs weight 4 months prior to processing. Again, I would want it to reach processing weight before cold weather sets in.

3. Brad549

Brad549 Member

Im not sure you need to worry about the breed as most are a cross of some sort or another. The 50lbs 4 months is a good rule as pig dont seem to convert feed as well in the cold plus the water problems ect. Call your county ext. agent they can put you on to someone that will sell you hogs. Mostly an auction house would be cheaper but take someone knowledgable with you if it dosnt look right dont buy. Stay away from ruptured pigs, I know many people raise them and have no trouble but the potential is there for problems. Find someone else to go in with you its as easy to feed 2 as 1. You do all the feeding they buy 2/3 of the feed or all whatever works for you.

4. neal68

neal68 Well-Known Member

thanks for the advice. i have a friend who wants to go in with us on this venture. she wants 2 and we are going to get 2 too. we are going to wait til this spring to get started. thanks again. :)

5. Ann Mary

Ann Mary Well-Known Member Supporter

I too needed to know this information and would like to add one more question...how mayn square feet would it take to raise up 2 piglets to butcher size? thanks!

6. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

I'd like to add a word of caution...while the neighbor, friend, and/or relative would like to go 'in' with you on this venture you really need to worl out the not-so-pleasant-possibilities....like what happens if a animal dies? What compensation is adequate for taking the responsibility of feeding/watering the animals twice per day? Work out the nitty gritty details and it will strenghten friendships.....leave them vague and there will be problems! If your friend is going to raise them on their property...no problem!!

Most years we have to settle for what we can find. The 4-H pig market is too pricey for us and most breeders target this market. We settle for the 'culls'...but using a good eye you can end up with a fine animal.....although I agree with the advice to avoid potential problems...way too much time and energy invested in raising them to start out with a potential problem. All the breeds and crosses seem to grow fine and each year its different...for example this year we have durocs for the first time in 25 years of raising them.....mostly raised yorks and york/hamp crosses with a few years of landrace mixed in....they all produce fine pork IMHO

WE use a 16 x 32 ft pen for three pigs...works for us and the pigs!