Newbie needs advice

Discussion in 'Beekeeping' started by cowboy joe, May 10, 2006.

1. cowboy joe

cowboy joe Hired Hand

My first order of package bees shipped on Tuesday. I'm guessing this means delivery on Thursday. All is ready...the woodenware, syrup, even the Post Office has been given the heads up.

Now the question...good ol' Mother Nature, according to the weather gurus anywho, is set to drop rain for the next 10 days in a row. I'm hearing that 5 days in the shipping cage is the limit. Am I better off biting the bullet and installing the bees during the first break in the rain fall or should I hold off in the hopes that the weatherperson's crystal ball is wrong? I'm hearing that the little darlings might be somewhat ornery during the cloudy weather...not particulary looking forward to 10,000+ cheesed off bees but that's a far cry better than have them kick the bucket before they get into their new digs. Any advice or suggestions???

2. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

I've read where you can keep bees in a package in a cool dry place for several days. Now define several days :shrug: . You could keep them for a while if you spray syrup thru the screen on them.
    Were it me I would get all my ducks lined up. First break in the weather of an hour or longer I would have them in a hive. Read my post on the gentle install method.

http://homesteadingtoday.com/showthread.php?t=118072

Just ran into a couple of queen cages that didn't have a cork over the candy but there was one that allowed the queen out so don't remove the cork till you know if it is over the candy.

When I pull the syrup can out I set the shingle back on till I am ready to remove the queen cage and only open it enough to get the cage out.
    The package/cage can be left on the top bars for a couple of days.

:) Relax and enjoy.

:D Al

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper keeper of the bees Staff Member Supporter

:nono: Was talking to Kare about this post. She said There I went thinking :bash: instead of asking if you had an extra hive body to put around a package/cage?
    I keep forgetting that the suppliers sell starter kits and that is all they are a starter kit. One deep brood chamber & one medium honey super.
    For one year you really need two deep brood chamber bodies and you should really have two medium honey supers.

:D Al