Newbie in Nebraska

Discussion in 'Goats' started by RainesRanch, Nov 26, 2004.

1. RainesRanch

RainesRanch Member

Hi, all! Figured I would introduce myself instead of being a lurker LOL My name is Nicole, my hubby, 4 children and ! live in the panhandle of Nebraska (anyone else in my area by chance??) We raise, goats, chickens, turkeys and rabbits.
    I look forward to meeting everyone, and hopefully finding a 1 or 2 people that raise goats nearby!! Goat people or hard to find in my area :0(

2. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Which end of the pan handle? Were in the very southern portion of South Dakota, not far from the Nebraska border.

3. RainesRanch

RainesRanch Member

Im in the northwestern side of the Nebraska panhandle. Just outside of Sidney. most people drive through here to shop at Cabela's LOL I have been as far as Chadron through once ! LOL

Nicole
    www.freewebsites.com/rainesranchgoats/

4. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

5. Lt. Wombat

Sidney puts you about 200 miles south of us.

6. RainesRanch

RainesRanch Member

LOL Im already a member! LOL I thnk I must have at least 8 diffrent yahoo groups Im on for goats. Ones even for Colorado seeing as Im closest to Colorado, state wise, Im only about 40 miles from the Colorado boarder. Problem is, all the goat folks in Colorado are either far soutyh or far west in the mountains! Im only about 109 miles from Cheyenne Wyoming. Its funny how it seems most goat people are located in clusters! I think the farthest I have driven (so farLOL) for a goat was 3 hours one way. And thats no fun at all for 4 children ranging from 2 to 12 years old! YUCK!!

7. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Sounds like we have a lot in common: We have goats (11), chickens (47, I think), turkeys (6), rabbits (lost count), guineas (6), llamas (down to 2, I think), dogs (3) and three children ages 3 to 10 (today is my oldest's birthday, wow, that went fast). I would travel to get different animals but the hubby and children usually put a stop to it:confused:

I belong to about 10 goat groups. I have learned the most from them. One group mentioned a goat seminar called 4S Goat Expo that is held in Lexington, at the Dawson County Fair Grounds. It was Oct. 9 and 10th this year. I hope to go some year. I think this web site will have info for next years, otherwise it is a good site and lists other breeders:
    http://www.mduphoffboergoats.com

I find it fustrating being in South Dakota and trying to get a goat breed I am interested in. Luckily a friend is working with me on growing my herd.

Good luck!

8. Lt. Wombat

What breed are you looking for Jas?

9. JAS

JAS Well-Known Member

Would love to get my hands on some cashmere type goats and I have found a few Angora; I want to get some fiber goats into my meat herd. I would also like to try Kikos. I was looking for some Spanish at one time, that was even hard to find. Right now I have mostly Boer crosses and Alpine crosses.

Nicole, I was surfing after my post last night and found some Cashmere goats located near Mitchell, Neb., still aways off but getting closer.

10. Lt. Wombat

Jas, I remember talking to you before. South Dakota is not known for exotic anything. Just ask a local rancher about his cattle and he’ll say they’re black. Not Black Baldies or Black Angus, just black.

Same with Caprine, not Cashmere, not Angoras, just goats.

11. RyleeM

RyleeM Active Member

I'm in Scottsbluff!! Did you say that you were in Sidney??

12. RainesRanch

RainesRanch Member

LOL!! I have heard about that expo too!! I got my first buck in Eddyville NE, its just on the other side of Lexington! It was about a 3 hour drive, but Lexington is about 2 1/2 hours for me. The other place I wanna make it to some day is the Fuzzy Show in Cheyenne WY (its a big goat show, dairy breeds). It happens in mid to late spring of each year. I have talked to the Uphoffs before when I was looking for a couple boer does, they were pretty exspensive though (around the $200.00 mark for spring doelings).
    My kids (children LOL) are 2, 4, 7, and 12. YES! the times sure does fly, my oldest daughter will be turning 13 this January!!! Im ganna have a TEENAGER!!! Yikes!!! Im currently working on getting a Cashmere this spring, I want to breed some hair into my girls to keep them warm in the winter. Not sure what they will ask for a "non show quality " Cashmere though. The cost is always another big infuence!

13. RainesRanch

RainesRanch Member

The gal in Mitchell is the one Im currently talking too! LOL She hasnt come back with a price yet though ....... could get scary!! :eek:

14. RainesRanch

RainesRanch Member

YES!!!!! What breeds do you raise?

15. RyleeM

RyleeM Active Member

None at the moment... i am currently looking for two milk goats. I borrowed one from a man in Mitchell 2 years ago, but I can't remember his name.

But it is nice to know that someone is close!

16. RainesRanch

RainesRanch Member

Regardless! Its nice to see another Nebraskan nearby!! Arent there alot of goat people lurking in the Scottsbluff area? Thats what I have heard anyhow! No one on line or ADGA, so they are hard to find !! Are you closest to Lake Minitare? Or Scottsbluff ? I've got 7 does getting ready to kid this Febuary, so if you decide to get one I may have one for ya ;) :D Not sure if Im ganna cull anyone yet, but it does happen! I culled a nice 2 year old Nubian doe this last spring, so she was fresh to top it off! And if I dont have any I do have a friend in kimball who usually has a few. I have gotten alot of my stock from her in the past.

17. RyleeM

RyleeM Active Member

My mom lives in Minatare, but my husband and I live in Scottsbluff. We are trying to buy an abandoned farm that is about 5 miles south of minatare, almost into Banner County.
    If you have any Nubians, that is what I am really wanting. Should be ready by April, possibly sooner. We will have to keep in touch!

18. RainesRanch

RainesRanch Member

Yes we will! If I dont have any Nubians I know a few others that might :)

19. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

Wow
    Who knew there'd be members kinda close to me?
    I go to Sidney once ever couple weeks or so, and I hit the Bluffs on occasion too.
    Good to see some Nebraskans here. :)

20. RainesRanch

RainesRanch Member

Where in Nebraska are you located at?? Do you raise goats also? You gotta love the internet, it finds people that you would have never met otherwise :D