Newbie in Arkansas

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cashburn, Sep 23, 2004.

1. cashburn

cashburn Member

My wife, four kids and I are in the process of buying about 120 acres in N. Central Arkansas (around Clinton) We are new at this homesteading thing but are very interested in getting started. Our biggest problem is how to make money. I am currently a high school teacher at an all boys private school and my wife is a purdhasing agent at a hospital. I would love to keep teaching but do not have a certificate and would need to find another source of income. The property we are looking at is all timber and we are considering having some of it harvested to get us started. Our question there is do we clear x amount or do we just have it selectively harvested or do we do both.

Any help you all could provide would be greatly appreciated

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

you might have some black walnuts on your land lets not forget that is a high dollor tree

3. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

Just curious as to why you are buying 120 acrea of bare land if you do not already have a plan to use it.

4. cashburn

cashburn Member

Our initial idae was to have place to get away from town on the weekends. Maybe build a small cabin or something. As we began to investigate into timber harvesting we began to think of possibly moving out of the city. It may very well be a few years before we can move onto the land permanently. But we are exploring the possibilities and necessities of moving out there.

5. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

You won't get as much as you think by harvesting. The guy down at the end of our road had 20 acres cleared of timber. He got around $1000 an acre and was left with a mess to clean up. We talked to a few of the people that advertise that they purchase timber about just taking the pine off 3 of our acres and they weren't interested. Said that it was too hard for them to cut select trees and get them out----took more time than it was worth.

We live at Mt Ida which is close to Hot Springs. People are paying good money for 3-5 acres zoned for mobile homes and owner financed with 10% down and 10 year notes. With 120 acres, you could cut out 20-40 acres and still have a lot of land left and a monthly income from the payments. 3 acres goes for $15K-$19K around here. Payments around $185 mo. These are set up on Land Contracts and title doesn't transfer until the land is paid for. Six 3 acre lots would equal about $1100/mo income for 10 years.

One acre will consistently produce approximately 1/2 cord of wood year after year. 100 acres would equal 50 cord of wood at about $100 cord is $5K year

A mobile home park around here leases small lots for $95 per month. Finding lots large enough for doublewides is a challenge. Imagine sectioning off a few acres. 3-4 doublewides per acre is $300-$400 per month income per acre. You will have to put in septic and water and electric if you don't have public facilities available, but the return on investment is large.

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

we would never cut up our land like that our neibor is half a mile away and we want to keep it that way i wouldnt care what the profit was

7. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

Nothing personal here, just thinking, qualified teachers are scarce, certificate or not, you might still be able to get a teaching job here in ark , call the state dept of ed, and see what they have to say , you might be able to slide in , if youve been teaching at the private school for some time, an emploment history, and letters of reccomendation might be enough to earn you a cert.
    just a thought

i understand not wanting to chop up the land, but youre talking chopping it up for wood ....
    timber doesnt make much money in ark , thats true enough

neither does farming, how much do you need to make to live on ?
    assuming your food is coming from the land, the house ifs built free and clear, and all you have is ins. and land payment ....
    so what, 1000- 1500 per month ?
    how are land payments set up ? monthly , or could you lump sum it ?
    how much land is clear?
    cattle ?
    market gardening, if close enough to a sale point, .....
    join the "tyson team" ,,, yechy , but its a living
    i dunno ...
    just thinking ....

8. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i agree with you there could become a teacher i allso agree with tyson yikes

9. D

D Well-Known Member

I think Arkansas still has something called alternative certification, where an uncertified person can teach for up to three years while working on his/her certification.

There are two sides to money: one is how to make it, the other is how to need it less. Your standard of living and personal expectations shape how much you think you need. Most of our "needs" are just wants. Also, if your land and your home and your transportation (and your old debts) are all paid for, then your monetary needs are much less: utilities, maintenance, food, ...

Good luck!

10. stonerebel

stonerebel Well-Known Member

Yes you can make money in tree harvesting especially with the hurricanes and the Irag war taking so many raw materials. Price of wood has sky rocketed with no end in site. It really depends on if you have soft wood or hard wood, soft wood is fetching a good price right now. You do not have to clear cut right now. Get a good cruiser to come in look at it and select cut the biggest ones and give the smaller ones more room to grow. Now is the time to cut and make a good profit, trees are a renewable resource despite what the tree huggers think. Let more than one company bid on the wood this also helps with keeping everyone honest.

11. cashburn

cashburn Member

Thanks for the info....I have been thinking about the alternative certification.....Our making the move is going to be a slow process. We need to get rid of some debt and determine if this what we really want......Thanks fo reveryones help

12. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

no problem, were kind of in the same boat, we have the land, but we arent moving there till next year, it needs a well and septic, the road needs SERIOUS repair(flattened a tire on me last time i went a rock ripped the sidewall)
    i really think that the alt cert. is what i would go for ....

i know a really good logger, who would probobly work your land, if you chose it, but , remember that when you have the logger come in , you have to decide if youre gonna cut it all, or cut some this year, and some next , whatever, when you cut it , its a 30 year commitment.... thats soemthing important to think about ..
    yes you can selectively cut, but , thats labor intensive, and no one will be able to do that for you , and make a profit, so thats something you and your family would have to do .....
    and its a LOT of work !

good luck ,
    B

13. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

were not to far from you we are in the rushing area