Newbie in a community garden

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by momma, Feb 28, 2004.

1. momma

momma Member

This is my first year gardening. I live in a loft in downtown Kansas City, so I've never really been able to garden, but this year I reserved a 500 sq foot plot at a community garden just about ten minutes from my place. I'm so very excited! I've been reading everything I can. Of course I have a million questions, but it seems that my biggest dilema centers around veggies like cabbage that like cold weather. I don't have access to the garden until sometime in April, and it closes again in October or November. I guess my question is this: should I try the cold weather veggies like cabbage if I can't plant them until the mid to late April, or is it even worth the effort? I was planning on doing most of the planting around the first week of May.

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Can you plant a fall crop in mid July? That would allow for a crop with 90 day maturity......

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

"Cold" weather crops can be grown in heat, I do it all the time. I plant two or three times and get several different crops. The thing to remember is that they mature rather rapidly and can go past prime very fast. Brocoli left unattended can go to prime and then to flower in a matter of a couple of days in heat.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    Check into MSN groups 'squarefoot gardening', they have the most info in one place that I have seen so far. All kinds of charts, data links, individual plant info, ect.

5. momma

momma Member

Thanks for your responses! I think I'm going to put the cold weather veggies in as soon as they let me into the garden and try a fall crop too. I'll have to check out that website as well.

6. gita s.

gita s. Guest

I live in zone 7 in California where the summers are routinely 90s and on some days 100s. Wouldn't I need to provide shade for broccolis and cabbages during the summer?

7. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

I can see the brocolli going to seed real fast in that kind of weather. Don't have much experience w/the cabbage (always grow in autumn)
    How about surrounding your brocolli/cabbage bed with trellises of beans, cukes, etc for shade? Also, try the square foot method of planting....the closeness of the plants may serve to shade the ground, keeping it slightly cooler(and is great for blocking out sun to the weeds.....less work!!)