Newbie here...with questions.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Freebird, Mar 23, 2005.

1. Freebird

Freebird New Member

Just wanted to introduce myself... I posted on another BB (a horse one) that I have really been wanting a Nubian Goat to have for a buddy to my Mini Horse and 2 month old Calf - she's a pet - and I was referred to this BB. Now, being a horse and cow person, I do have a few questions though...

How much acerage does does a goat need to stay happy and healthy?

Right now I have 4 Board wood fencing - what would I need to do to keep a Goat in? I'm guessing chicken wire, etc?

How old are they when they are weaned off their mama/bottle?

How much - and what - does a Goat normally eat in a day?

I wouldn't mind eventually having a Goat to milk, for our use, but what exactly does that envolve, since I am NOT getting up at 3 Am to milk a goat, lol.

What type of Vacc. and worming schedule do most people use for their Goats (I'm in Ga, if that helps)

Well....that's all I can think to ask....for now anyway, lol. Thanks in advance for letting me ask all of my dumb Goat questions. :cool:

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome!

Nubians need enough space for exercise - I have four goats housed in a small, 20x16 foot shed with a 60x60 dry lot yard. They get free-feed alfalfa hay all year round and grain on the milk stand. If you will be pasturing them and relying on the pasture for her nutrition then a lot more space is needed to provide that food. For pet goats, a good goat mineral and free-feed good-quality grass hay may be all you need. But milk goats definitely need the alfalfa, in hay or pellet form. Mine eat about 15 pounds per day between the four of them...and waste another 3 or 4 pounds on the floor. :rolleyes:

Goats stand on fences and like to climb and jump. Your wood fence will quickly become a play-place that will not hold her at all. Chicken wire will break easily under her weight as she stands on it to see over. Some people use field fencing with an electric wire on the top to discourage jumping. I have a 47" field fence around the lot and no one seems to care about what's on the other side...everyone's situation is different, but I'd definitely recommend sturdy field fencing with an electric top wire for starters.

Kids can be weaned at 6 or 7 weeks, but 8 - 10 weeks is more common and recommended for better growth. You can milk your goat once a day if you choose or three times a day. It's up to you, but pick a schedule and stick with it or you'll have an unhappy goat. Basic milking takes an eye for health and cleanliness, a good clean container, a few minutes of time to milk her out, and then strain and chill your milk quickly. Beyond that, it's up to you how involved in the process you want to get.

Goat definitely need company...your mini-horse should be okay, but another goat is always prefered. Goat hooves get trimmed once a month or so to prevent over-growth. Not difficult or time consuming once you and the goat get the hang of it!

Vaccinations: CD/T and a de-worming schedule for yoru area. Check with your local vet to find out about the schedules in your area...Iowa is pretty different!

Hope some of this helps!

-Sarah

3. windyhollowfarm

windyhollowfarm Well-Known Member

Goats need other goats for companions. They will be happiest that way. It may not work out housing your goats with other species. It depends on the situation. I have seen/heard of horses and cows killing goats.

I wean kids at 3 months old.

Goats are known for being mischeavous, and breaking out.

My goats get hay (a grass/alfalfa mix), grain, minerals, and water everyday. Depending on pregnancy status, age, milking, sex, etc. determines when they get grain, and how much. They are fed hay twice a day every day.

If you are milking a goat that doesnt have kids on her I would milk twice a day. Usually 12 hours apart. You dont want a doe sitting there with a full udder, in pain, waiting to be milked. You have to be regular for whatever time you decide, and have to do it everyday. You cant take off for long periods of time when you have milkers.

If you are milking a goat with kids on her you can do it several ways. Some people "latch" kids where kids are locked up at night away from mom. Then the mom is milked in the morning, and kids are kept with her all day. That way you are milking once a day. You can try to milk with kids on doe 24/7 but you wont get as much milk. Plus you need to leave some for the kids.

It is easier if you have a milkstand to do the milking on. You need teat wash to use on teats before and after milking to prevent masititis. Also, I prefer to keep the udders/stomach clipped to keep the process cleaner.

Since you are down south where the parasites are known for being worse you will have to deworm more often. I live in Michigan, and deworm 3 x's a year. I do not have a problem with worms though. Goats need an annual vaccination of CD/T. CD/T is Clostridium Perfringes C&D Bactern -Toxoid. This is the immunization use to prevent Enterotoxemia and Tetanus. You give 2mL SQ no matter what age, sex, weight, etc. Kids get boostered with it at 3, 6, and 9 weeks old. They should receive it earlier if the dams werent given proper prenatal care. Also, kids will need a coccidiosis med to prevent an outbreak of it. This will kill a kid quickly, and provide stunted growth. What method you use to prevent/treat is up to you. However, commonly a Sulfadimenthoxine is used.

A goats health and their nutrition will affect the quality, and quantity of milk produced.

These arent dumb questions at all but the right ones to ask :D