Newbie here with a question...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Drifter2475, Dec 24, 2005.

1. Drifter2475

Drifter2475 New Member

Hello folks this is my first time posting but I read alot of what u guys write...What advice could you give me on Homesteading pros and cons? U see guys I'm a 90% Disabled Veteran on limited income and I'm 30 yrs old...I love the country and one day hope to have at least 5acres or more. I live in Eastern NM but orginally from Texas. I dont like the dusty area that I live in because it leads to allegeries and sinus....I would like to move to Morgantown,WV...Its very beautiful in that area. The only problem is I have a 5 yr old daughter who lives in TX and that would hurt me not being to close to hurt.Right now I'm 3 hours from her one way...If this isnt making any sense I'm sorrry...my brain doesnt work like it once did....I want to buy land some day soon...and if there is any Veterans who have use a Vetrans loan on buying a house and land plz if u could provide any details I would appreciuate it if u have time..thanks....well I hope to post more in the future....thanks again and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all....

2. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

I'm not sure about Morgantown, but there are some places in WV that are still beautiful and cheap, maybe off the beaten path a little, but may worth a look, too bad it is so far from your daughter. If you are on a fixed income, I think the cost of living in most of WV is low, and your check would go pretty far, good luck and thank you for your service.

3. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member

start small. you know you have to contact the va to get your certificate for the loan, right? ok. find a small place you like and start with a few chickens and a small garden. do NOT under any circumstances try to do more than one or two small projects the first year. that will lead to overwhelming and hardships. since the dust bothers you, find a place with water access and a few trees, if at all possible, as close to the dd as you can get. good luck.

4. thedonkeyman

thedonkeyman Well-Known Member

The whole state of WV should be given to the VETS that gave their lives, all or in part for the rest of us. God Bless our VETS. A retired Marine...the donkeyman.

5. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Drifter! Merry Christmas! :goodjob:

Alas, I know nothing about the VA, but I AM disabled.

I have an idea for a garden for next year. Morgan County seeds sells weed barriers for less than I would have thought possible, and they have a 6 year life span.

My thoughts are, pay my 12 year old daughter to till it for me (And I WILL pay her, she helps enough for free when I have trouble with doing stuff).

Install the barrier on my hands and knees which I CAN do, plant melons and such between the strips of weed barrier, and then just keep it watered. I have some long drip hoses that I can use to water so that I do not have to move a sprinkler.

Good fortune, and take care!

6. Bresias

Bresias Restless User

What a great idea . . . wouldn't it be an appropriate thank you gift for a veteran, a piece of decent land in the country they defended.

I agree to start small, we're just starting, and we want to do it all right now, have it all right now. I know you are in love with WV, but there is beautiful land in Idaho that has yet to go too high in price. We LOVE our troops and vets here, too (no Idaho jokes were meant to pop into anyones head, here, I'm talking bumper stickers, signs, spray painted on houses, big tree trunks everywhere you go "WE SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!" We also unabashedly declare "Merry Christmas!")

7. Drifter2475

Drifter2475 New Member

thank you all for the advice...when i said morgantown,wv i didnt mean to live in the city but in the surrounding areas....i have an aunt and uncle there and I have visted many times when I was in the Navy in Virginia....Again thank u guys and Merry Christmas....

8. modineg44

modineg44 Well-Known Member

http://www.glo.state.tx.us/vlb/

Texas Veterans Land Board. They have various loan programs for veterans, including special programs for disabled vets.

Nancy

9. Drifter2475

Drifter2475 New Member

thanks.....Nancy