Newbie / ? about southern Indiana

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by cardinal, Nov 7, 2004.

1. cardinal

cardinal Member

Hello,

I've been reading for a while and have learned a lot already. Thanks for all the info!

Like many others, my family is looking for a quieter, more rural lifestyle. Because of my husband's job, we need to be fairly close to a major airport. We're thinking halfway between Indianapolis and Louisville, Kentucky. Also, I grew up near Fort Wayne, so we would be a lot closer to family.

My question - anyone know of some good realty websites for southern Indiana, or names of good realtors? I've looked at Homefinder.org, which had lots of listings, but they seemed like pretty expensive homes on just a few acres. I'd rather a more modest home with lots more acreage.

Any advice is appreciated, or any info on the area in general.

Cardinal

2. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Howdy!
    I grew up near Richmond, 60 miles east of Indianapolis on I 70/US 40.

In my opinion some of the prettiest areas of the state are the south-east area from Richmond (Wayne County) to Cincinnati. But the interstate access is poor. Other pretty areas are Liberty, Connersville and Brookville. HOWEVER ... south of Richmond people in some areas have a "hen" of a time finding water. Wells hundreds of feet deep

Brown County and Monroe County (IU Bloomington) are pretty touristy ... but scenic.

Maybe you should plan a little trip out this way!

I think there are other folks on the board from southern Indiana. Which, technically, I wasn't one since our half of the county was "north of 40." My DH, on the other hand, considers anything south of US 30 to be southern Indiana :haha:

3. Taylor

Taylor Well-Known Member

4. Firethorn

Firethorn Well-Known Member

Somebody PM me about a property they are selling in Indiana. Seems it might be in the erea you are looking . If you are interested I will forward your info to them. PM me to let me know.

5. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Sorry I can't help you with a realtor, just wanted to say.... Welcome to the forum! :)

6. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

I live just outside of indy on the southside. realtor.com seems to always have all the listings for this county if I compare it to a realtors site here. good luck with your search, to get rural at less than 10k an acre going south you'll have to get down to at least bartholomew county.

mel-

7. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I-65 is a lousy, lousy road! They were working on it a few years ago and maybe it's better, but getting from Indy to Louisville on it used to be terrible...and I'm from LA!

That's all I know!

Jena

8. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey Cardinal,

Another realtor site to try is www.TalkToTucker.com. They cover most of Central Indiana. You can search for farms or vacant land, search county by county. We found our current home - log cabin in the woods - online. We're in Brown County, and Indy Airport is about an hour drive.

9. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Just how far south do you want to go? Vanderburgh is getting more populated every day, however the outlying cities vary greatly. I am 22 miles out of evansville and my town is only 2500 people. Theres a town about a half hour away from me called hazelton thats got a population of less than 500; lots of privately owned wooded acres and oil wells. LAnd near me is getting expensive, with lots of restrictions on housing(ex., no mobile homes). The farther north you go the better chance you have at finding something at a decent price. Here's a link to some local papers:

www.tristate-media.com

Heres another one, with a page of real estate links:

www.countyquest.com

Look on the left side of the page for the link. This one also has a forum.

There are lots of manufacturing jobs in this area; schools arent too bad(very good hs'ing laws). In the Mt Vernon area of vanderbugh there is a power plant(GE).

We are looking into Gibson and Pike, thats as far as we can go that won't make hubby's drive unbearable.

HTH

10. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

I forgot! Theres also an airport down here...Evansville Regional Airport.

www.evvairport.com

11. tim1253

tim1253 Well-Known Member

Like many others, my family is looking for a quieter, more rural lifestyle. Because of my husband's job, we need to be fairly close to a major airport. We're thinking halfway between Indianapolis and Louisville, Kentucky. Also, I grew up near Fort Wayne, so we would be a lot closer to family.

If I were you I would look in Southern Indiana west of Louisville...towards Corydon, IN. It is on I-64 and is not nearly as populated as off the I-65 corridor. The area off I-64 around Corydon has some beautiful, peaceful places (and I hope it remains somewhat of a secret!!)

Tim
    Knoxville, TN

12. cardinal

cardinal Member

We are planning a trip out in a couple of weeks. Just trying to do some legwork before we go.

:eek: Eek!!! Things do seem pretty expensive if you want to be anywhere near Indy.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback! I'll definitely check out some of those websites. We're not planning a move for a year or two, so we've got lots of time to look and prepare.

Thanks for the welcome!
    cardinal

13. cloverfarm

cloverfarm Well-Known Member

Say, isn't 64 along the "old Buffalo Trace?"

Ann

14. Mel-

Mel- Well-Known Member

cardinal,

where I live you'll pay 15k plus an acre. my father just turned down 25k an acre for some of his farm. thank god I'm his daughter, lol.

I've seen some 5 acre tracts around flatrock/southwestern shelby county for 5-7k an acre but that is absolutely the cheapest I've seen in johnson county. like you said, too close to indy (unfortunately).

jena, they are always working on i-65 it seems but it's never seemed any worse to me than I-70 west.

15. indypartridge

indypartridge Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep...pretty much anything under an hour's drive of Indy is pricey. I pass numerous farms daily with "For Sale" signs...they will all be tract houses in the next couple years. Now if you don't work in Indy, and just want a reasonable drive to the airport, you can get land for much less. My neighbors just sold their 56 acres for around $220,000.