New Zealand Whites wanted

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by BeesNBunnies, Sep 19, 2005.

1. BeesNBunnies

BeesNBunnies Schnauzer nut

I'm looking for some NZWs preferrably close to breeding age or breeding age. I live near Lebanon Missouri. Please send me a pm. Thanks

2. turtlehead

turtlehead Well-Known Member

We're also looking for New Zealand White does, central WV.
    Also a California buck.

So post publicly please... and if you want to PM BeesNBunnies too, well, I guess that'd be okay :)

3. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

I have tried contacting people here in northern Minnesota about some California's or NZW's but I have never had one phone call returned, or even reached a live person. My kids pick up business cards at the fairs from growers of these seemingly rare meat breeds, but no responses and no answers when I try to reach these growers.

I'd like to have a young buck and 5 or 6 does as well, but for what ever reason I have not been able to find anyone who has these rare breeds for sale.

For a breeds that are so common elsewhere, they sure are hard to locate up here in the sticks, even when one has the names, addresses, and phone numbers of breeders.

My barnyard variety bunnies are going to quickly hit a dead end if I cannot find some new blood. I might have one year left if my buck stays healthy, but then it's over.

4. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

Have any of you tried signing up to some Yahoogroups and making inquiries there? I am not sure what groups are available as far as specific breeds go, but I do know that there is a rather large contingency of folks on the "Meatrabbits" list - I have always found them to be extremely helpful when I have had questions, and there are so many suscribers - surely a few of them are at least somewhat in your area. Also, you could try the "4HClassifieds" list, if you're looking for rabbits for your kids.

5. BeesNBunnies

If I can ever find some it looks like I'll have a ready market :D

6. cedargrove

cedargrove Well-Known Member

I can't mail them, but my wife and I have several does, and several kit this weekend. Realy good meat! NW Kansas.

7. doninwis

doninwis Active Member

Haggis;

Just where in Northeastern Minn are you located? I'm in Westcentral Wis, and have those rabbits you think are so rare. They're not.

Contact me, if you are interested. I have several young bucks and five young does, if you want older breeding stock, I have that as well. All reasonably priced.

Waiting to hear from you.

Don/wis

8. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

9. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Don/wis I sent you a PM.

10. tim_the_biggen

tim_the_biggen tim_the_biggen

i have tried the yahoo groups tring to buy bunnies , same as the others, :grump: they just dont call ya back .

11. doninwis

doninwis Active Member

Haggis;

I didn't get your pm. please try again. Subject line: California rabbits/Minn

Thanks,

Don/wis

12. turtlehead

I took CountryGoalie's suggestion and searched Yahoo Groups for "meat rabbit" and got about 43 groups to consider. I've just joined the meatrabbits group. They're VERY active... 564 new messages in the last 7 days! I'm not sure I'll be able to keep up :baby04:

Check out this bit from their "Welcome to the Group" email:

"Mary-Frances has a section on choosing a breed and a breeder’s list as well as a place to buy books. Lots of great information and access to many of our members and great reading materials
    http://www.qsl.net/ki0dz/rrr.htm"

There are no breeders listed for my state of WV unfortunately, but LOTS for Missouri. :dance:

13. doninwis

doninwis Active Member

Haggis and BearCreek Farms;

You have PM's. I'm not very familiar with all the options on this forum, so just recently discovered where to find things. Not sure I know where it all is yet.

Hope I answered your questions.

Don/wis

14. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

LOL Meatrabbits is a busy group :sing: we find a lot of things to talk about ,, but it is a friendly group ,,,, there may be breeders near that are not on Mary's list ,,, just ask on group when you finally get approved to post messages ,, ;)

the most often offered advice I've heard ,, if you want rabbits is find out where the rabbit shows are ,, county fairs with rabbit shows ,, ARBA sanctioned shows ,, 4-H showes etc ...

A LOT of breeders are really cautious about 'returning' calls ,, with information .. about their barns - location and rabbits because they always have to be aware of "NUTCASES" ,, you should hear some of the stories I've read ,,

people coming to see about buying rabbits and not buying but 'later' the barn gets broke into ,, rabbits stole - hurt - killed - vandalism .. :bash: and having the official 'police' responce being ,, weell so - so ,, because its 'just' rabbits ,,

and you always have to think about disease getting into your barn and some don't ever 'let' buyers on their sites ,, you have to arrange to buy from them at shows etc ..

15. turtlehead

So far I've been to the county fairs (lambs, calves, pigs, but no rabbits), checked ARBA (no shows in WV, nor OH within 250 miles of me). Next stop - 4H and my local farm bureau! :)

I've read lots of complaints that breeders dont' call back or respond to emails, and I've emailed one breeder and not heard from them. I had no idea that so many nutcases were out and about. I'd be wary, too! Thanks for posting that, because understanding relieves frustration.

16. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Oh yes ,, you wouldn't believe the things I've heard ,, even where the parents of a very enterprising young man trying to raise / show and save rare breeds ,, ( he works for his own feed bill and expenses / sells rare breed breeding pairs and trios ) they had to install alarm systems ,, cameras ,, getting 'guard' dogs ,, all because of their barn being repeatedly broken into and him having rabbits hurt killed stolen ,, let loose and the barn vandalized ,,

he has even had his website hijacked !!

,,,,, I'm old school soo I 'want' to have 'trust' in people ,, :angel:
    remember the days when you could ,, :shrug:

but nowdays most play it better safe than sorry ,, if they don't have rabbits of age and available they don't reply ,, its not ment to be rude ,, I don't believe :nono: but even a 'reply' saying oh I have does with litters ,, but none available right now that you're wanting .. or I have young rabbits for sale but no breeding age rabbits ,,

even a no reply just told 'someone' :flame: that you do have rabbits on site ,, and you're a 'breeder' :grump: now if they have evil intent and they can locate your home and case the place ,,,,

17. markm240

markm240 Well-Known Member

I feel for you all! If any nutcases come calling send them to Maryland where My wife and I will welcome them with open arms. Please let them know to just come in the half a mile driveway and no they don't have to knock before coming in. Hopefully we will be able to go back to trusting our neighbors after all the crazies have been read to from the good book! :) Good Luck

18. BeesNBunnies

This absolutely floors me! Rabbit rustlers?! What is the world coming to? Here I always thought the biggest threat to my livestock was the neighbors dog! Kinda makes ya want to do a bit of weeding in the gene garden....ya know?

19. CountryGoalie

CountryGoalie Well-Known Member

Commonly known amongst rabbit breeders as "ARAs" or Animal Rights Activists. :soap:

20. BeesNBunnies

Ooooooooh ok I see. I call em targets :D