New Zealand standard questions

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Chinclub, Mar 7, 2005.

1. Chinclub

Chinclub Well-Known Member

I am well on my way to starting my rabbitry. My first girl was pregnant when I got her and she delivered 7 babies ( 6 lived-1 was born on the wire and died). The babies are starting to leave the nest now and I am thinking ahead about what to do when they are weaned. I was thinking of keeping all of the females and the purchasing a good unrelated male.

Here is my question. I can't seem to find a breed standard for New Zealand Whites. What should I look for when deciding what to keep and what to sell. Is it best to keep all females or should I choose selectivly? I'm hoping to breed for mostly pet sales, but I am realistic to the possiblity of selling for meat-although I need lots of info on how to go about that.

What would you suggest?

Here is a picture of my doe. How does she look?

[​IMG]

2. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

She looks really nice, but it is hard to tell from a picture. :) But go to Arba's website and look up the standards, they should be on their webpage. But generally, you want a nice, uniform, round body on NZ. Nice and meaty. ;) I am sure Pat will have more info!

3. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

The NZ specialty club's website is http://www.geocities.com/newzealandrba/. Like Pat said, you can't really judge a rabbit w/out a hands-on evaluation, but from what you can see in the picture she looks ok. Definitely learn the basics of conformation and select for good animals if you're going to breed. It's not worth it to reproduce poor-quality animals. Set some goals for your breeding program, even if it's just a hobby, and stick with them. (Even if you were just breeding pets, you could still select for animals with good temperaments.)
    The ARBA website has a listing of upcoming shows at http://www.arba.net/showinfo.htm.

Good luck!
    rabbitgal

4. Chinclub

Thanks for your replies. I've been breeding chinchillas for over 7 years and do shows with them so I understand the importantce of breeding for quality. I joined the ARBA and have sent in my membership fees to my local chapter which is only about an hour away so I will keep an ear out for shows. I'll also invest in that book. I'd like to buy some flemish giants and a smaller pet breed as well so Ill need to study up on the standards for each of those too.

5. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

LOL, sorry. Didn't mean to sound like a know-it-all. :) People flooding local markets w/ dirt cheap mutts is kinda a pet peeve. :rolleyes: I can't afford to sell my rabbits for $5 a pop!

6. Chinclub

NO, you didn't!! :) I say the same thing to new comers wanting to breed chinchillas. Its all about bettering the animal you breed and there is no harm in reminding people of that. It just shows your a responsible breeder.

7. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

You hit the nail on the head. We've got so far to go in breeding rabbits that it's just not worth it to keep/sell poor quality. I mean, how long have rabbits been bred to a standard? There's still so many faults in rabbits in general that even the best of breeders still have problems.

Which chin breed do you raise? I've been thinking about *maybe* getting into a second breed and just curious what different folks think about their respective breeds.

8. Chinclub

I breed Chinchillas...the animal, not the rabbit. :D

[​IMG]

I have just gotten into breeding rabbits and have started with New Zealand Whites. I would love to get into Flemish Giants and a small breed as well, but I havn't decided which one. I've ordered the ARBA book on breed standards and I'm waiting for it to arrive before I get any more rabbits so I'll have a better idea of what I want and what to look for. I've also sent in my membership fee for the local ARBA group so I can attend some shows. I know I have a lot to learn!!

9. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

LOL thought you meant one of the three Chinchilla breeds of RABBITS--hahaha. That pic you posted is so cute! Didn't even know you could show them--but then lots of folks say that about rabbits!

Good book about rabbits is Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits, by Bob Bennett. It'll help you out with a lot of the basics. The guy also has put together a list of responsible, honest breeders he knows and he'll send it for the cost of a SASE.

10. Rosarybeads

Aw, what a cutie! :) I have three myself, Mr. Whiskas, Mrs. Whiskas, and baby Whiskas (new female)... Never shown them, but I got them from some family members that raise them for pets. I absolutely love chinchillas, they have the neatest personalities!

11. Chinclub

Where can I get a copy of the book Storey's Guide to Raising Rabbits?

Chinchillas do have great personalities! I have about 70 in my herd right now and each one is certainly unique. There are two national chinchilla clubs that do sanctioned shows around the USA. I'll be driving 12 hours at the end of this month to go to nationals in Indiana.

12. Rosarybeads

Yeah, I remember doing that with bunnies. :) It's great fun!

You may try eBay, or if you can't find it there, do a Yahoo or google search for the book, and you should be able to easily find someone who sells it. Let me know if you have trouble...

Natalie

13. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Used book stores would be a great place to check, too.

14. Chinclub

I found it easy, Thanks!

So here is another question....How much should I charge for these little bunnies once they are weaned? What is the going rate?

15. Rosarybeads

New Zealands aren't the best pet breed, because of their size, but I suppose any breed is a cute bunny! We used to sell our pet breeds for 15 dollars, the Netherland Dwarves 20. Course, we were the petshop's suppliers, though.

I would suspect, depending on your region, that you can get 10 dollars each, but if they scoff at that (which they very well may because they are meat breeds), then offer lower....

16. Chinclub

Yep, they are big...I guess I'm just weird because I love the larger breeds...but then, I'm that way with everything, my dogs are huge! I'm wanting to get into more of a pet breed..maybe Holland Lops, but I am having a very hard time finding a breeder anywhere near me.

17. Rosarybeads

Gosh, wish I had my book of rabbit breeders, it was an ARBA book I believe (I am pretty sure you got it when you signed up in ARBA, but you may have had to pay extra for it too), had all the breeds/breeders by state. Course, these were show ones, not usually the best breeders as far as numbers of babies goes, but nonetheless.... Did you try to do a search of South Carolina holland lop breeder online? Good luck, and I know you will like those hollands, I loved them. The mini-lops I found to be more calm, but they are bigger, the biggest pet bunny we had. I also liked the Jersey woolies, in my experience they were the sweetest, gentlest ones! Netherlands were the least calm, tended to have an attitude. Obviously each line is different, though. :)

18. 2horses

2horses I'm a silly filly!! Supporter

I just joined ARBA a few months ago, and have the latest breeders book - I'll look at when I get home tonight and see what I can find in your state for you, Chinclub.

Pam :cool: <------ wants to breed Mini Rexes someday....

19. Chinclub

Don't Jersey woolies requier regular grooming? I love the long hair rabbit breeds but I don't want to have to brush them out all the time.

Pam, I would certainly appreciate it if you'd look for me. Was that a book they gave you or did you buy it? I know I get some sort of book with my membership but they sent it 3rd class so there is no telling when it will arrive. I got my membership card in the mail last week.

20. Rosarybeads

Yeah, if you want them to look pretty. :) Course, I never really did unless they got real bad, then I would clip off the clumps when they started getting annoyed by them. :)