new zealand doe having single little ones

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by countryboy01974, Oct 18, 2004.

1. countryboy01974

countryboy01974 Well-Known Member

I have a new zealand buck and doe I have bred them twice now and both times she has had only one baby. the first time it was still born. this time it seems healthy enough but still only one.what could be the cause of this and will she likely continue to have only one at a time? :confused:

2. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

My first thought would be that the doe might be overweight.

This probably sounds harsh to many of you but after those two chances,
    she would be removed from MY breeding herd. Since I don't keep a doe
    who doesn't produce well, I don't know if she would ever have a decent sized litter (6 or more kits).

3. Tracy

Tracy Well-Known Member

I agree with Linda.

Another thing to consider is your buck. You did not say the ages of these rabbits but if the buck is older and you have had high temps he could have became sterile or almost sterile. If she just kindled now look at the temps 60-90 days ago.

Also so post below a consistent breed back schedule is needed so the rabbit does not get to fat.

4. countryboy01974

countryboy01974 Well-Known Member

thank you for your answers. i,m not sure of my rabbits ages i think you may be right about the buck though i think he is fairly old.the doe don'nt seem that old but that is just my quess and i am for sure no expert at guessing ages.but i still think it could be the doe because i bred her to a different buck the first time but it was hot weather then.thats what i figured the problem was the first time but now i don't know.i just bought these rabbits back in the spring .ibought a guy out that was getting out of the rabbits i got what he had left .it was 2does and 4 bucks . i have not had much luck breeding them my other doe didnt take the first time. she is due in about 2 more weeks hopefully i hav'nt got the hang of feeling them yet to tell . i've got a freind that will do some trading of breeding stock but i have to have some to trade first. anyway thanks again for your answers i really apreciate the help.