New Zealand Black or Reds crossed with Californians

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by tbishop, Dec 23, 2004.

1. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

Hello.
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience with breeding the colored New Zealands with Californians. Is it as an effective cross as the New Zealand white/Californian? I don't care about the color of the pelt, as if I ever figure out tanning then I will only be using them for home use anyway. Anyway, just curious.

Tim

2. PassMe2010

PassMe2010 New Member

I recently saw a NZ Red and Californian cross and as soon as the man's next litter is ready I will have one or two of them. They looked just like a Californian but instead of the black/brown color on the ears, nose, etc. the cross had red.

Take care!

3. tbishop

That would be neat! Thanks for sharing that. I have a trio of New Zealands on the way at the end of next month, so I'm gonna start looking for a californian buck or pair in March to start the meat production going. Thanks again!!

Tim

4. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Hello Tim, I have a Red New Zealand doe ,,, when I bred her with my Cal buck she had 7 solid black kits , I bred her with my WNZ buck she had 7 mm blond /brown mix looking kits ,,
    I have a black NZ doe , with the cal she had mixed litters either black kits or cal looking ,, with the WNZ buck she had 3 white 1 black 2 brown mix ,,,, I was hoping for a blue ,,

Tammy
    NC

5. tbishop

The colors sound like fun :). Were the kits the same superb fryers that you get from the NZW/ Cal cross? Thanks!

Tim

6. Tucker

Tucker Well-Known Member

Well Tim ,, Actually the Red n Black NZ kits grew bigger ,, heavier ,, sooner ,, n were meatier carcasses when we butchered ,,,

but ,, the black n red have had only litters of 6 & 7 kits (I don't think Blackie knows any other number to have 4 litters of 7 lol) ,, same as my Cal does 5 - 8 kits ,, the WNZ does have had litters of 9 - 12+ = takes longer to get the weight the smaller litters get sooner ,,,

This has been my experience so far ,, I only recently got 5 breeding age WNZ s does and have been impressed with the litter numbers compared to the cals n the colored nzs I had ,, but I can see a difference in the weights of the larger litters ,,

Tammy
    NC