New York Or Pennsylvania?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by BASIC, May 29, 2005.

1. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

I saw a recent post about someone looking for property in NY.A few people suggested they look in PA,lower taxes.I'm also interested in moving,though I'm not sure if either NY or PA is the place.What are the differences between the two states as far as taxes,property prices,schools,jobs and people?The area in PA that we'd be interested in is the northwestern part of the state,the problem is I don't think theres to many jobs their,NY might offer more opertunities as far as employment,though the cost in taxes may be greater.Any suggestions,please?Thankyou,BASIC.

2. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

I live in Northwest Pennsylvania..Erie County to be exact. I think property taxes seem reasonable compared to other places in the country. In the district we live in we pay $960. per $100,000 value of our home. Plenty of room..near the lake... As far as jobs go I guess it depends on what your occupation is. Unemployment is not high here. To get an idea of the area if you are interested check out www.goerie.com. That is a link to the local area paper where you can check out the classified ads. I have lived in NW Pennsylvania all my life and would be glad to help out if you have any questions of the area... and no I am not a realtor.... am a stay at home mom of 2 toddler boys! Just like to help out anyone who needs it

3. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

The part of NY we were talking about is no different job wise than PA.

Take a property in McKean or Potter counties in PA 5 miles from the NY border. That property will have a $500-600 property tax bill.

Take that same property and move it ten miles north into Allegany county in NY and the taxes will be $1500-2500 a year.

Which would you rather have?

And a $8.00 an hour job would be considered a good job in either place.

To get jobs in NY you have to be near a big city. I'm 30 miles from Rochester. My taxes on a $62,000 house in town, with only 1/3 of an acre, are over $2000 a year. I haven't been assessed in a long time. My tax rate has been raised twice in the six years I've lived here. 8% the first time and 6% more two years later.

Three years ago my friends wife was diagnosed with MS. The 1500sq ft raised ranch style house they had been living in was no longer a liveable situation do to the stairs. So they sold that house and built a ranch with all the room wheelchair accessable, on two acres. This house was smaller than the old one so it would be easier to maintain. Property taxes are over $5000 a year on it.

And in comparason, someone with a blue collar field is happy to get $2.00-$3.00 an hour more than the guy down on the PA border. My field hasn't seen pay raises in nealy five years. I'm a skilled tradesman with over ten years in my field and only make a little over $12.00 an hour. I would make comparable money in PA. If your in the white collar fields unless you're medical, I think you'd find southwestern NY or northwestern PA a hard row to hoe jobwise.

4. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Thankyou both for your replys.It seems,no offense,that unless theres a specific reason to pick either NY or PA,theres better places to go.I just thought it was worth one more inqure because of the logistics.We're still looking,VT and NH both seem to cost more but there nice small states.The southern states all seem to have a lower cost of living,more jobs and some of them even have snow.Thankyou both again,BASIC.

5. Patty0315

Patty0315 Well-Known Member

Land in NY is cheaper tha NH or Vt. Taxes on 140 a I own is 1200.00 per year. Jobs depend on were in Ny you want to live. What kind of work do you do ? That may help.

6. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Patty0135,ma'am,I've worked in/managed gun stores,landscaper and plow snow.I thinkVT and NH are out of our range also.I thing,VA,WV,NC,TN and KY might be the best place for us to look,lower cost of living,lower taxes,lower property prices and some jobs.Any suggestions?Thankyou,Basic.

7. Patty0315

I am familar with St Lawrence and Jefferson county. Jeff county has Fort Drum which does alot of non military hires. The local paper is the Watertown times or the post standard you can check there online adds for homes forsale. How mant a are you looking for ? I will keep my eyes open. Min wage is 6.00 an hour right now. Farm jobs pay a little more and lots of times under the table. Homes can still be got in some areas for 35,000.

8. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

Anyone thought about snow???? NY gets a LOT more snow than PA. (I have lived in both)

9. heather

heather Well-Known Member

depends what parts you live in :haha:

I've lived in both too

some of the mountains of PA can get a lot more snow than parts of NY & vice versa

NY taxes are insane - be prepared to support NYC no matter where in the state you live - with your water, your taxes, your employment rates, etc....

Best wishes - it's not an easy decision to make -

10. Patty0315

Well are sales tax is not great but most of what we buy is exempt. We raise most of our own food so that helps. There are snow belts in NNY were you will get alot more snow. My Mom in CT got more snow than we did this year.

11. mparrott

mparrott New Member

My daughter and her son and husband have been looking for property in PA just over the border between NY and PA, they can buy a very nice property and live very comfortably there just on what they are paying for rent in Mauntauk, Long Island. They want to work in NY and commute across the state line to PA. Good hunting!

12. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

Hi again,what about the Syracuse and Rochester area?It seems like cities of that size would offer some employment oppertunity with a commute to a rural area?Thanks,BASIC.

13. woodsrunner

I'm 30 miles NW of Rochester. If the taxes don't scare you I'll help.
    How much land do you need and how much house?

Houses on land are very popular here, expect at least a 45+ minute commute to get something reasonable.

What fields do you work in?

14. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

My DW and I looked extensivily in NY state.

For our back ground. We were originally from North Jersey. We moved to southern PA (Lanc. County). People told us we would never "make it". I found work easily and with the lower cost of living the $8.00 per/hr. was a better living wage that the $14.00+ in NJ.
    I was able to start a career and excell in "rural" PA. We moved and purchased a home in Schuylkill co. for 57,000 3 years ago. The area has grown quite abit in the last few years. So, with renovations we are selling the house for 90,000. Now we have moved to the NE corner of PA (Wayne Co.) For more land and cheaper housing. I have been able to stay in the same field and get more money with each move. I have had a 1 1/2 Hr commute at times. At this point I think we are well ahead of our peers in NJ. But this is more of a receint thing.

Before purchasing this property we looked from Buffalo-Binghamton-Watertown the property is inexpensive and their is plenty of it. But the taxes are high. Not just property but sales and income taxes also. The jobs in those areas are easy to find but low paying. Some one said to move to PA and commute to NY. That maybe worth while but if you commute 1 hr. south instead you may do better. For instance from me I could work in Binghamton or Scranton. Both <1HR But in Scranton Jobs pay a little better and I don't have to pay tax in two states. It really depends on your field and how far you are willing to drive. Making 10.00 per hr. Plus OT pays the same as cummuting 1hr each way for 14.00 per hr. Well almost.
    P.S. You can do it. Just decide where you want to live and have a go of it.

15. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

woodsrunner and stanb999,thankyou bot for the help as well as evryone else.I'm operator.a landscaper,I plow snow in the winter and I've worked in and managed gun stores for the last 20 years.my wife drives a school bus,is an EMT and a 911 operator.The reason why NE PA puts me off is I'm afraid that development will spread there too,look at the Poconos.BASIC

16. woodsrunner

Well if you're worried about sprawl forget the greater Rochester area. Rochesters suburbs and bedroom communities now cover much of 5 counties and is spreading still. After years of looking, I've discovered jobs and sprawl go hand in hand. That's the beauty of NW PA to me. There are absolutely no huge employers, or huge economies with lots of jobs.

You may want to take a look at Niagara county. It's still nice and open over that way. Tons of snow for you to plow in winter. But, the economy is only so so. Still it's commutable to Buffalo.

17. woodsrunner

The pocono's were victim to thier location in relation to the big coastal cities. And from the start they were promoted as a vacation area to people in those cities. NW PA has none of that crap.

18. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

woodsrunner,I didn't know the sprall was so bad.Its to bad about the Poconos.Wgat about the Tug Hill area?NW PA does seem more interesting than i first thought.BASIC

19. Patty0315

38,000 for a house outbuildings and about 50 {dont remember the exact amount} This was in the Watertown NY times.