new years kits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by rabbitgal, Dec 31, 2006.

1. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Well, they aren't *really* New Years babies, but bunnies are a great "present", right? :) Lacie, my English Angora, had her first litter yesterday - nine! One was stillborn, but the others are doing well so far. The little hairless ewoks are soooo tiny compared to my Californians. :) (I'm trying not too crow too loud yet ;) : we've been trying for a litter from her for almost three months...that's what I get for breeding out of season apparently.)

Should I have shorn her before breeding? Her belly is sheared, but I'm worried about the kits becoming entangled in the nest wool. All of it is cut up into little 1/2" snippets, but she pulled fresh wool last night when the temperature plunged. I would have sheared her earlier, but I was afraid it would stress her too much. I think she was pregnant the first time I bred her, but she was sheared about 2 weeks after breeding - no kits. :shrug:

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

Congrats on the litter! Nice New Year's present!

Can you just remove the extra wool now and snip it? She pulled extra fur because of the weather (what a good mommy!) but she likely won't need to do it again. Another time I think I would shear her just a day or two before mating.

Good luck with the fluffy buns! I'll bet they'll be really cute in a week or so! Don't forget to post pictures. :)

3. Hilda

Hilda Well-Known Member

Congrats Rabbitgal! :dance: I'm totally with you on the fustration of waiting three months for kits, been there, done that, might as well be the poster girl...

Keep us updated and yes, post pics!

4. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new kits!

5. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Thanks guys! The kits are a week old today...mostly furred out now, although it's still pretty short.

Looks like 3 REWs, possibly a pearl, and four grayish kits that I'm cluesless on. :shrug: So cute.