New Wellingtons

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jesducky, Apr 1, 2005.

1. jesducky

jesducky Well-Known Member

Having broken my ankle last summer, I've become much more aware of stressing out my legs and feet while walking about in the mud and muck. My good old $15 Tractor Supply plastic wellies work well, but don't provide much ankle or foot support, especially slogging about in really mucky areas. Can anyone recommend a tried and true brand of a waterproof Wellington that has a steel foot shank or other supportive materials? Price is not an issue at this point, as my tightwaddery is being superceded by my desire to avoid going through the summer in a cast again! :haha:

Thanks!

2. diane greene

diane greene Well-Known Member

I don't know any rubber boot with ankle support, but the real Wellingtons from Scotland do have good arch and foot support.
    You can get them from Gemplers
    www.gemplers.com

3. BASIC

BASIC Well-Known Member

I've read good things about Muck boots and Cabele's carries a Finnish made boot,Nokia,I think.Good luck,BASIC.

4. FrogPond

FrogPond Entremanure

Don't pass out at the price, but the BEST boots I have ever owned are Le Chameau wellingtons. Get the full leather-lined boots with the zipper from to to bottom. They are great for support, warm, and last forever. Easy on, easy off. 100% waterproof right up to the top! Great souls. I have spent plenty of 18 hour days in these boots hiking hill and dale... or doing chores. They are so good I have two pair.

Here is the down-side: 1) they are a little hard to find in the US since they are French made; 2) the top-of-the-line will set you back about $300.

Worth every cent. I can not tell you how many times I have been out in the cold, muck, frozen - whatever - and smiled as other people complained about their boots.

http://www.opticswarehouse.com/acatalog/Le_Chameau_Quality_Outdoor_Clothing.html

5. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

Sierra Trading Post carries them. www.sierratradingpost.com

6. jesducky

jesducky Well-Known Member

Hey, thanks everyone; I'm going to check out all your recommendations. :)