New water heater question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by .netDude, Jan 21, 2007.

1. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Had a water heater put in about 2 months ago, now I'm getting a strong sulfur odor. What should I check? Could it be something in the pipes? (they're galvanized)

2. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

take out the anode rod, this usually solves the problem. BUT it voids the warranty and could shorten the life of the unit.

3. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you also smell the sulfur odor in your cold water, but not as strong as your hot?? Randy

4. Jersey Milker

Jersey Milker Member

Remove the rod as said before it will get rid of the smell. I would also assume you have really hard water where you live? I have fixed the problem you are having numerous times by removing the rod. If you need help let me know.

5. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Yup its the magnesium rod, you can buy aluminum anodes to replace it........ but you're adding aluminum to your water supply.

6. .netDude

.netDude Well-Known Member

Yes, it's just the hot water with the smell.
    I do have hard water, but installed a softener a few months ago. The smell was not present with the old tank (bottom rusted out, that's why I replaced it).
    What's the purpose of the rod if I can just take it out?

7. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

It sounds like iron bacteria. Have you bleached your well and plumbing system?

You might be smelling it after the heater because hot water gives off more smell than cold.

8. liveswithinlogs

liveswithinlogs Member

The anode will, by way of electrolysis, prevent (or rather, postpone, unless the anode is checked and changed on a regular basis) the tank from corroding. The anode is usually referred to as a "sacrificial" anode in that it will corrode in place of the tank. It will finally reach a point where there is no anode left, it having "sacrificed itself for the greater good" of the tank. If not replaced, the tank will then begin to corrode.

9. siouxsie

siouxsie Well-Known Member

The odor is from sulfur bacteria, it is harmless. Turn the heat up on the tank to 160F, make sure the T&P valve works. Leave it on 160F for 24 hours and drain the tank, this will kill the iron and sulfur bacteria that makes the smell. The Bacteria dies at 140F-150F.

After it is refilled, and the water is used for a few days the odor will be gone. I have to do this with ours once or twice a yr. Removing the anode won\'t do anything but ruin the tank.

10. brownthumb

brownthumb Well-Known Member

what is a T&P valve?

11. siouxsie

siouxsie Well-Known Member

That thing on the side of the tank, with the little lever on it. pull the lever up and see if the water comes out, and you know the valve isnt frozen. it is a pressure release valve, so if the heating elements go haywire and boil the tank, the valve pops open and the tank doesnt explode.
    You should check that valve every now and then anyway.

I think it stands for temp and pressure, T&P.