New washing machines

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Trixie, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

This is a rant really.

We just bought a new washing machine. We are only here a few months out of the year so I didn't want to pay a lot of money for a washer and I didn't want a front loader.

The first time I tried to wash a load in hot water, it only ran hot water for a minute - then cold - then back. The tub of 'hot' water was in fact just lukewarm.

We called the company - they sent a repairman. He showed me on a diagram that it is made this way. He suggested I turn down my hot water heater and maybe I could get kinda hot water. It didn't work.

We called the company again and another repairman called. He said all new washers are set up this way to conserve energy. He said in fact the government was going to make it mandatory that as of the 1st of this year, only front loaders could be sold. The idea of the alternating water temp and ending up with only warm water was a compromise that allowed top loaders to continue to be sold.

Anyone else hear of this???????

2. wildhorse

wildhorse Well-Known Member

Try cutting the cold off at the in take. Ill check with my uncle on the front loader issue.

3. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

Thanks, wildhorse. I had thought of that. If that doesn't work, I am going to put a '2 outlet faucet' (I can't think of what you actually call them) on the hot water and put the hot water hose from the old machine on it. When I want hot water, I will switch and fill up the tub.

I would like to know for sure if it is something the government imposed or if the company thought it was a good idea.

The repairman is coming Monday or Tuesday and he said he might be able to bypass that without voiding the warranty.

4. Shepherd

Shepherd Well-Known Member

You've GOT to be kidding! Are they serious??

5. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

6. Stephen in SOKY

Stephen in SOKY Well-Known Member

Does it also shut the water flow off when you open the lid a little too fast and it bounces slightly back? Can you tell I'm frustrated by my new pair????? Takes 2 hands to remove lint basket on dryer, not to mention that wonderful catch at the top of the door that always catches either the wet clothes or my thumbnail...... Whomever designs these things obviously doesn't actually do their own laundry!

7. danb98577

danb98577 Well-Known Member

Awww mannnn.....this is a very sore spot with me. Bought a new Whirlpool(Kenmore) the day after Thanksgiving last year and it is nothing but grief-repair has been out once to fix lid switch that was broken from the factory, and warned that transmissions were weak in these things-yep....warranty is done now and it sounds like the hinges of, well...it is not good.
    Don't have the weird hot water problem you do, but that was probably just timing. I am looking for an older Maytag to replace this piece of junk with-failing that it will be a new Speed Queen. They are built like a tank and have incredible warranty.
    Your hot water reminds me of those idiot "water saver" faucets-the ones you can't get any water out of. Good luck-the dual outlet sounds like a good short term idea.

8. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

Front loaders are sooooo energy efficient, water use is really really low, and they all require use of that wonderful soap that is very "green". Look into them. We've had one for a year and a half and I wouldn't ever go back to a top loader. They use sooo much water.

9. Bink

Bink Well-Known Member

Actually, I wanted a front-loader, but the place wasn't selling them when we were buying. Maybe next time. Hope it'll be awhile.

10. davaseco

davaseco HERE chickie-chick-chick

I was able to get a new washer and dryer set in 2005. I looked at the front loaders but the barrel was so small that it would take 2 loads to do what I normally do in one load with a top loader...I couldn't see that it was being water/energy saving from that stand point.

We ended up buying the GE Profile - Harmony set. They are connected with a USB cable and "talk" to each other. I can customisze my own washing cycles and the washer will tell the dryer what I was washing so it can dry accordingly. The washer also senses the load size and adjusts the water level to the right amount. The washer will even hold my king size comforter...don't think I'll find a front load washer that will do that!

11. blue gecko

blue gecko Well-Known Member

The last time I needed a washer I wanted a front loader. Got the large capacity Maytag Neptune. The water saved is significant as long as you wash full loads. Here are my complaints:
    I can't adjust the water level for smaller loads- it is what it is.

The rim just inside the door MOLDS! YUCK! Who'd of thought.

I didn't think I'd miss it but I miss being able to soak a load- you know what I mean, leave the lid up and let the load soak awhile.

A while back I did a foolish thing and washed an old rug. It fell apart and clogged the pump. On the top loader I would have just used the shop vac and vac'd out the water but NOOOOOO!!!!! Front loaders just sit there with the water being held bac back by the door....what a mess....what a MESS. Didn't take much to fix (sometimes I'm such a ditz) but dealing with the water was insane. Next time it's back to a top loader. And if they are going to stop selling them I may have to get one soon.

12. Batt

Batt In Remembrance Supporter

We purchased a new Fisher/Paykel (sp?) W/D set in 2005. Top loading, but the washer weighs the clothes and adds the appropriate amount of water. High speed spin flushes out so much of the water they are almost dry from the spin cycle. Uses a DC motor with permanent magnets for the motor. Estimated Electricity usage $9 / year. Absolutly no problems. They say all repairs can be done with a screwdriver and allen wrench. DD's(2) were so impressed both of them have purchased the same models. No Problems!

Dryer finishes about the same time as the next load is done. Clothes are so dry from spin cycle, a lot is saved on dryer energy, if we don't hang them on the line. (winter). BTW...Made in New Zealand. Last I heard we were still friendly with NZ, and they pay employees a decent wage.

I thought High speed spin might be hard on the clothes but it doesn't seem to be.

Front loaders seem to still have a problem of mold around the inner part of the double seal.

13. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

We bought a front loader six years ago. I would never go back. Yes, you can pack a full load into it. The manufacturer recommends stuffing it. You can put a large blanket into it, if you can smoosh it in, it's not too big. I learned that with certain items, like sheets that take up a lot of room but don't weigh much, to put the wash on the presoak cycle before the wash cycle. This still uses less water than a top loader.

Haven't had any mold problems. If I had it to do over again, I'd get a platform to put it on so I wouldn't have to bend over.

14. SCBPX

SCBPX Member

Worlds best wash machines (IMHO) are made by a german company called Miele if you can get a good deal on one you are set for 20yrs!
    Steve

15. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    Several years ago I had I wild hair and purchased a brand new Maytag Neptune Washer and Dryer. I loved them. Yes the drum size looks so much smaller, but it really will hold more. Yes it uses High Efficiancy detergent, many new washers do regardless of how they load. It spun so much water out of the clothes that they dried in a snap in the dryer or on the line. I loved my new set. Then, things started to go wrong. The appliance repairman and I were on a first name basis, after 3 or so trips out to the house he suggested that I get in on the class action lawsuit, because my washer was meting the criteria. I had no idea their was a class action lawsuit going on. I checked into it. I did need to purchase a new washer before the lawsuit was settled, so I bought a Kennmore XL capacity (family of 5) top loading washing machine. I like it - a lot. I does a fine job. It does do the alternating hot and cold water when it fills the tub, but this really wasn't an issue with me as I wash most of my clothes on cold. Only whites go in hot water, and they seem to come clean so I'm OK with the alternating water temp. The clothes have much more water in them when they come out, so it takes longer to dry regardless of which method I use. I still use HE detergent, but I wash more loads as the capacity is less even though it is a XL machine. I usually do laundry on weekends so that I wash full loads of everything. This is a perfectly good washer, and I will use it until it gives up the ghost, but when I replace it I will look hard at a front loader. I was just a little gun shy when I purchased this one. BTW, I still use the Neptune dryer - it is going like a champ (knock on wood).

Anne
    Cowgirlracer
    :hobbyhors

16. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

I am just old fashioned and like a top loader. As someone said, I like to let a lot of things soak. In fact, I found by accident if I let whites soak for about 24 hours, they come very white and need no bleach or other additives.

For 99% of the time, I use cold water also. In fact, at our 'farm' in East Texas, my washer is in the barn and has no hot water. I was actually 'doing up' a big bunch of tablecloths, napkins, doilies, and cotton sheets I had collected over the years and wanted them soaked in hot water. So I paid for a hot water machine and I wanted one.

My daughter in law has a front loader and it works really well. The clothes are very dry when they finish and it even 'rocks' the tub to fluff the clothes so you don't have to shake them before putting in the dryer. She really likes it and I have used it a few times - no complaints - just really don't want one. it is wonderful for her family as they have tons of washing.

As I said, I like to soak and a front loader is much more expensive than the model I bought. We have been at our home for a total of 6 months in the last 3 years. We are only a couple of old geezers and don't wash that much anyway. To spend a lot of money on a washer that will just sit there unused didn't seem like a good deal.

You know if clothing doesn't come clean because of this 'energy saving' feature, and has to be washed more than once - are they really saving energy? It is kinda like the low flush toilets that must be flushed 2 or 3 times to get the job done. We have one of those and it works really well, but I have seen them that just don't work.

I wonder if the new water heaters will only reach a certain temperature?

Thanks everyone for the replies - I did learn a lot.

17. mizattitude

mizattitude Well-Known Member

You don't need to adjust it..it adjust itsself to how big the load is..I gots a Neptune TOO!!

Love mine to pieces, but I do have my eye on the new LG washer..its a steamer..That sucker is BANGING!

18. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

sounds like I'll fix my top loader when it quits.
    Sometimes I like to use more water when I have a really dirty load. I'm also one of thoes people who sometimes rince twice. Can you do that with a front loader? Silly me - wanting to do it my way.
    Golly gee... not only do the machines talk to us, now they're thinking for us...
    Front loaders are not new. I remember one in the basement, must be 40 years ago.

19. Quinton

Quinton Active Member

Most of the "Sensor" machines have a temperature sensor.

I have watched the washer (Gee dont I have enough to do?) nad the water will switch between hot and cold if the sensor selection is on.

Cant do anything except change settings on my machine.

20. arabian knight

arabian knight Miniature Horse lover Supporter

What do you WANT the companies to do, when most People don't want to or won't save on energy. THEY will make machines and other appliances as energy efficient as technology will allow.
    You people preach and preach on here how you guys are saving power but that is a handful of people not Joe Blow~! So the manufacturers have taken the step and MADE appliances to save energy. Whether or not the person wants to or not. Folks You can't have it both ways. There are way more others that don't know how, don't want to and or just don't care. Way more then the few on this board.
    So Government and others Through legislation HAVE made things WAY More efficient then just a few years ago. Like it or not but that is what is taking place.
    And besides WHY are there folks on here that would WANT to take off those sensors if they could this board is for self efficiency and saving things for future generations. This don't make sense that there are some on here that would NOT want these measures put on the appliances. Yup you can't have it both ways at all. One way or the other but not both. That just won't work with now over 300 Million Pop. in the USA.