New vehicle

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Strange Bear, Dec 20, 2004.

1. Strange Bear

Strange Bear Well-Known Member

I need a new car. Here are the parameters:
    Good fuel economy
    Need to lug bags of feed. (up to 8)
    Driving through snow. I do not shovel if I don't have to.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    Oh, and I have to get it within 10 days.

2. tim1253

tim1253 Well-Known Member

Toyota Tacoma 4 x 4

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Recommendation #1--Get a used vehicle
    (in other words, let someone else pay for the depreciation)

4. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

5. Mudwoman

Mudwoman Well-Known Member

Jeeps are great, but not aerodynamic and gas mileage is bad. 14/19 if you are lucky. We are looking at something similar. Like what Consumer Reports has to say about the Suburu Forester, the Toyota Rav4, and the Honda.

6. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

YES go for a JEEP.

I have had mine for 4 years and will never go back...well that is until I can buy a ford F350 superduty for the same price lol.

GA

7. Nevada

Nevada Voice of Reason Supporter

You don't need to laugh, that could be a reality.

Frame straightening technology has come a long way during the past decade. They no longer guess while frame pulling, they now have machines that have laser sensors (usually about 20 of them) that allow frames to be pulled to factory specifications. The cost is less than you might think.

In our state the car dealer lobby currently has a campaign against restoring totaled cars, which has lowered the price of damaged vehicles. The car dealers would like to see any car with a dented fender be squashed, for obvious reasons!

The bottom line is that it is not unusual to buy a damaged car or truck and have it repaired (like new) for 30-50% of the retail blue book value. The only thing is that it is best to plan to keep such a vehicle indefinately, since a salvage title vehicle will not bring a good resale value.

There is an auction for damaged cars every two weeks in Las Vegas, where about 600 cars and trucks are sold at each auction. Here is where people in the Las Vegas area look at cars (complete with photos):

http://www.beauction.com/listpage1.html

Some are damaged too severely to be repaired, and some are too old or have too many miles to fool with, but someone with a background in cars can get a fantastic car for embarrasingly little. PM me for photos and costs of an actual project.

8. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Subaru station wagon.My neighbor had one about 15 years,just got a new one.These things are GREAT snow cars,AWD.The largest market for them in the USA is right here in the SoCal Mountains.Huge sellers,so they must be doing something right.
    BooBoo

9. Steve in Ohio

Steve in Ohio Well-Known Member

We have a Jeep and the mileage does suck 13-17,but it gets my wife out in the winter..........Hey Green when you are ready for a real truck.........step up to the 3500 Dodge with a Cummin's.........F-350's are for girls.............Cummins Rock........................

10. GREEN_ALIEN

GREEN_ALIEN Sunny, Wet, Tornadoey SD!

Trust me it is on the list. Waffleing between that and the ford right now but the DW says I have to wait for spring. Then it's off to Idaho to get a good deal lol.

GA

11. Steve in Ohio

Steve in Ohio Well-Known Member

12. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

another vote for subaru. the perfect car, imo. get a wagon to haul feed. with the rear seat down, it is possible to haul sheetrock in them. i've owned nothing but, for the last 15 years. they always get 25 miles to the gallon, no matter what size, style, condition, or driving habits.

jeeps are good, but gas hogs.

13. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

I vote for Toyota, too. Have one with 339,000 miles on it!!! Change the oil regularly, and it will run forever.

Have a 1996 Tacoma I'm selling after the first of the year.

14. ckncrazy

ckncrazy Well-Known Member

Subaru and toyata are good bets. All Chrystler products drive like dump trucks, and the resale value stinks on them. imo. I would get a Chevy or Ford. Chevy has the best resale, and ford second. If you go with a Chevy pu, Get a 98 or older. The new ones can get expensive to do brake work on. Chevy has decided to go back to the old style brakes and such, so in the new model year it would be a good bet to buy a new chevy.

15. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Mid '80s to early '90s 4-cylinder rear wheel drive Volvo wagon-either a 240, 740, or 940 with NO turbo. These vehicles have taken care of my family and farm for years, and you can get a good one for $2500-$5000. Anything with 120,000 miles or less is a great buy, and I would consider any one with under 200,000 miles. I have a 740 with 211,000 miles and a 240 with 117,000 miles. They're cheap to work on, heavy as sin, good in the snow if you know how to drive, and they're extremely safe. We buy them with cash, pay to maintain, drive them into the ground, and buy again.

16. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

I have an outback wagon (subaru) that is comfortable, safe and functional. I can literally plow snow out our 300yd driveway. By used pay cash and change the oil regularly. With the seats down it will carry as much as my dad's baby tacoma with a cap. We are a little rough with the car too...woods roads and stuff like that...the only thing that I dont like but is easily fixed is that the cv joints start to wear at around 90k miles....two of our past cars did this.

If you dont have a garage ask them to throw in the remote car starter as part of the deal....I did and the car is cleared, warm and the heated seats make 20 below not so bad! Loaded versions will have heated wipers, side mirrors and seats all small blessings if you ask me :eek:

The end of the month is a good time to purchase a vehicle and get a good deal.

17. Strange Bear

Strange Bear Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone.
    I am going to test drive a Subaru on Monday. Snowplowing out of the driveway sounds wonderful. Because I don't shovel people don't tend to visit me in the winter. :haha:

18. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Just an observation that annoyed me and also intrigued me. I own a tree farm in western NC (read that as mountains). The main access road is 2 miles from the paved road. A couple of years ago I was on the back side of the place on a cold icy day deer hunting. I had managed to get near the deer blind on my Honda 4wheeler and walked to rest of the way in. I had been sitting there for some time, shivering and seeing nothing. Suddenly, I heard something coming from even a more remote area and the sound was getting louder. In a few minute was appears but a Subaru station wagon coming down less than what I would call a pig path! How they got in there always puzzled me and the speed that they left once they saw me was equally bewildering. I became an immediate believer that the Subaru could go anywhere. You do know that Subaru spellled backwards is U R A Bus :)