New vehicle for towing

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by painterswife, May 24, 2006.

1. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

We are considering a new vehicle. We will use it 4-5 times a year for towing a horse trailer.(2 horse trailer)

SUV? Truck? What are your recomendations?

2. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

older(78-85) chevy p/u...

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

One-ton diesel pickup with doolies.

4. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    A pick up truck is much more use full around horses, hauling hay, feed, disposing of precompost, ect.

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.........1996-97 , Dodge 2500\3500 , 4x4 , with a 5 speed if available . 97 was the last year of a mechanical injector pump . Beginning in 98 computer controls were begun . The 98's had some problems with the lift pumps .
    .........1999-2003 F250\350 7.3 powerstroke diesel . Ford started installing disc brakes on the rear axles in 99 and 6 speed manual trannys replaced the 5 speeds . DONOT even consider a 2003 , 4 , 5 6.0 diesel as they had lots of problems . An '05 model might be OK but I'd want an '06 if possible .
    ..........As far as chevy is concerned I'd start with an '03 Duramex with the Allison auto . Allison has been building auto's for large trucks for years . I'd also stay away from the GM 6.5 diesel as they had lots of problems with heads , etc. fordy... :)

6. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

If you're hauling so little and you don't need a pickup, a Suburban makes a nice tow vehicle but nice for passengers too. Maybe an Expedition. I have a one ton dually and it'd practically haul the cabin if I needed to :p , but I haul horses 2-3 times a week. gas mileage: not so good.

7. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

........Ok , I just reread your question as you are wanting a new vehicle .

........I'd look real hard at the new 6.6 , 365hp , 650 ft. #'s of torque Duramex diesel with the new 6 speed Allison auto . This is probablly the best and most quiet diesel available of all 3 . I have read on different website's that folks have been able to purchase these trucks with 4x4 , dually for around 36k which is a bargain in my opinion .
    ........Ford will have a very short '07 production year from june'06 thru dec'06. They will introduce their NEW , 2008 6.4 sequential , twin turbo v8 diesel beginning in Jan of '07 . A V6 version of this 6.4 engine is being sold in their LCD , Low cab forward small commercial delivery trucks currently . fordy... :)

8. Lisa in WA

Hey, my husband just got a diesel GMC truck witht the Duramax Allison thingy (not a mechanical person :rolleyes: ). We picked it up on Saturday. It is really quiet. Ours is a 4x4 but we didn't go for the dually since we already have one.

9. buck_1one

buck_1one Well-Known Member

Ok I'm just wondering here but, why such heavy trucks? We are only talking about two horses, and four to five times a year!

Any full size truck 1/2 ton and up will do. My ex-girlfriend had a herd of horses and pulled them with a two horse trailer every weekend with a Chevy 1/2 ton with the little 305 and it did just fine. I pulled it with my 76 F-150 with a 390, when her truck sprung a leak, and my truck handled it just fine.

Just looking at Ford's web a 2006 F-150 can tow up to 9900 lbs (depending on how the truck is setup). That should be a whole lot more then two horses and a trailer.

From my experience you should be just fine with a 1/2 ton truck. While it would be nice to be able to tow 15,000 lbs with a F-350 DRW and fifth wheel almost 20,000 lbs, I think it is a little overkill to use such a heavy duty truck for just a couple of horses.

Just my $.02

Buck

10. Southernman

Southernman Well-Known Member

I agree with Buck, my 05 F150 has the little 4.6 and can pull 5k from the bumper, more if I were to put a tow package on it. I don't know how much two horses weighs exactly, but I pull a 16 ft tandem axle trailer with my ford 2000 and bushhog and my truck handles it just fine. Pulled a load of cedar posts back from Arkansas a few weeks ago. Pulled it at 75mph with no problems at all.

11. wilderness1989

wilderness1989 Well-Known Member

I totally agree I pull a 24 foot travel trailer with my Chevy 305 2/WD with a 5 speed standard transmission. I've pulled a 16 foot livestock trailer with 2 cows and 2 calves with it too, no problem. :cowboy:

12. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

................I come at this situation from the opposite point of view . I've seen guys purchase a decked out F150 for 30 to 35k . And yet , they could have spent another 3k and obtained a full Size F350 either single rear wheel or a dually , Diesel , which would have gotten around 20 mpg and pulled any Utility trailer or travel traler that they cared to hook on too . Makes more sense to me but we're all different Ain't we ??? fordy... :shrug:

13. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

No idea what a 2 horses and a trailer weigh, but there are many vans out there that can tow a lot, now before you call me a pansy, a van with a hitch and a utility trailer can haul a bunch of stuff and get 26+ mpg and hual 7 people, now show me a pickup that can do the last 2. This is what I am going to do after we have kids.

14. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

For 4 or 5 times a year, don't buy anything. Rent a truck when you need it. Should cost less in the long run.

15. Lisa in WA

We have appearances to keep up here, y'know. "Death before Mini-Vans!!" :hobbyhors

16. Silvercreek Farmer

Silvercreek Farmer Living the dream. Supporter

Speaking of renting a truck, I rented a Chevy 2500 yesterday from Lowes, 19 bucks (plus tax) including gas for 75 minuets, they don't have hitches so you can't tow anything, but great for picking things up around town. And I don't have to worry about them breaking down, (like the last truck I borrowed!)