New VA site

Discussion in 'Home Defense/Guns' started by moopups, Dec 29, 2004.

1. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    The VA has produced a new website that is somewhat eaiser to navagate than their regular site @ www. va.gov/. The site has a lot more info on Health Benifits & Compensation also. Use the URL. of www.myhealth.va.gov

This is a log in site.

2. jeannie242

jeannie242 Well-Known Member

Sorry if I am posting this in the wrong spot, but I was wondering if anyone knows if a person that retired over 25 years ago can be re-evaluated to receive a disability payment like the % the VA pays now.
    My Dad retired without any disability pay and its changed so much since then.
    He now has cancer and they believe for the most its related to Vietnam.
    Can he do something to be re-evaluated?
    Thanks Jeannie

3. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

The types of cancer related to Agent Orange is located within the 'major links' sticky, I'll see if I can find it for you. Get him to go see a full time vets rep asap. Take his DD214 discharge papers.

4. jeannie242

moopups, its liver and colon that he has and he did 3 tours in Vietnam.
    Dad is getting his retirement and nothing more. I know some recent retired people get retirement and get a disability check each month depending on the % of the disability ratings they retire with.
    Thanks for any help. Jeannie

5. jeannie242

moopups, I am sorry to be such a pain. But I love my dad so much and I want him to get what is due to him !
    I think he feels like its asking for charity, to go back and ask to be re-evaluated and get more $ each month.
    I had another thought. My sister who was born after one of my Dads return from Nam, has had nothing but sickness in her life. Do you think this could be related to him being in nam?
    I would go into all her issues but don't want to post it on a board, if you feel ok with giving me your email address that would be great. If Not I understand. Thanks Jeannie
    Or click on email to send me one. thanks

6. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

Yes, there is direct links to illnesses in the children of viet vets, mainly spinal problems, but others also. I will add to this as soon as I find it, later today.

Edited to add,a quick search yeilds over 85,000 sites; enter into google: vietnam veterans children's illness

The range covers everything from spinal disfigurement to inability to concertrate,mental health issues, skin problems, ect.

I do not have final and tight information on this subject, thats why you need to speak witha full time vets rep. They are in the phone books blue pages at state level, or at any VA medical center, or any VFW or similiar organizations.

Your father needs to understand the VA pension and compensations are entitlements he has earned by his past service. Even if he feels his cause is lost, he must remember that the benifits also go to his childrens benifit. There is nothing shamefull of a VA pension, its the only income I have at this time. The government caused the problems, the government is at fault; now they are trying to correct the situtation as best as they can.

PM me if you have additional questions. I am going to seek first hand info at the 'Brothers of the Nam' site, of which I am a member, they are advociates there with first hand information, yes you can join and speak with them. Its an MSN group, you will need to go establish MSN passport, free and easy at MSN homepage, then request membership at the group site.

7. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Thanks for directing me to the new web site. I had forgotten until just this moment that I had some sort of injury to my shoulder while in the army and that is the shoulder that is now preventing me from working due to inmobility and pain. I just sent an inquiry via that web site to see if the VA could do anything to assist me! Thanks, again, Kathleen