New US hardiness zones?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by flutemandolin, Feb 10, 2004.

1. flutemandolin

flutemandolin mark an eight, dude!

Has anyone else seen this? http://www.ahs.org/pdfs/USDA_Map_3.03.pdf (warning-it's a PDF and it takes a LONG time to download!) Apparently it's a draft revision of the plant hardiness zones. Good news for me-I've gone from Zone 3 to Zone 4! :D

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I didn't check out the zone map. but it sounds like you are being upgraded due to globle warming. When them glaciers all melt Minn will have 20,000 lakes instead of 10. Good time to get in the boat business ahead of the rush. What do you think?

3. flutemandolin

Heck, it'll just be one big lake with 10,000 fishing holes! But with the global warming it won't freeze so there won't be any ice fishing...You're right, I think I'll get into the boat business. :eek:

It's interesting how on the new map they account for the "heat bubble" effect caused by cities...parts of Minneapolis/St. Paul are now Zone 5.

4. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I sure would be interested in taking a look at it but it times out before opening for me.

5. Oxankle

Oxankle Well-Known Member

Do you feel any warmer?
    Ox

6. flutemandolin

7. RANDEL

RANDEL Well-Known Member

i patiently downloaded this map but it was too much for my poor computer to open. too bad, i'd like to see it.

8. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

We went from zone 5 to zone 6.....after the coldest winter in 111 years! It easily exceeded our supposed -10 winter low this past December.