Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped off at my local Bomgaars to grab a bag of feed or three on my way home from work. I still have a few hundred pounds in reserve but the sale ends tomorrow, and I am more than happy to stock up when the prices are low.

I didn't get my feed. On the way to the feed section, I have to walk by the clearance area. I think that they do it on purpose. Not that I am complaining. I am happy to peruse the clearance section as I seek out my intended purchases.

For the last year or so, I have been contemplating getting an incubator. Nothing fancy, a cheepo styro unit would meet my needs quite satisfactorily.

I have built a few over the years from re-purposed stray items with great results. So I was reluctant to spend retail prices for something that I could build from my trash pile.

Then, there on the top shelf at the clearance end cap was a deal too good to pass by.

There where a few Little Giant still incubators and a few egg turners, each originally priced at $50, marked down to about $30 each.

I dug into my wallet. I contemplated my finances. I pondered both my debit and credit cards. I considered my mortgage and utility bills.

I can do this. I think. I can do this. I hope. I can do this... Maybe.

I can do this. I can. I can do this. I did!

So now I am the proud owner on a LG incubator with an egg turner purchased for about half price.

Hatching season is just around the corner. I can't wait!

Happy hatching!

Peace,
Curtis

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Yeah, those incubator toys... Can't live without 'em.
I added another hovabator this past spring. I could see
adding on next year. I keep saying I'm going to make my
own. It's a great idea.
Wish my feed store had a clearance sale !

·
Premium Member
6,017 Posts
Hatching season is just around the corner. I can't wait!

Curtis
I did not know this---I been hatching dead ahead. Just took about 60 out the hatcher, more than that a week ago, etc, etc, more due to hatch in a few days. No one told me I was suppose to quit for a while----:D

L

·
0 Posts
I've got chicks hatching right now, some more going into lock down on Thursday, and some eggs to set today.

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
Not only expensive, who wants chicks or ducklings in mid winter when its below 0? With the ducks, I only hatch in the spring, the older ones (ok, they are mainly pets!) become seasonal and often lay well in the spring so I have an excess of eggs for eating and can spare them to hatch without running out. Our place is small and in town, I don't need a lot of ducklings anyway. :)

·
Born in the wrong Century
5,439 Posts
I'm actually full tilt on hatching quail right now.

Can't sell Quail eggs if I don't have the hens.

Come Spring I'm hoping to come close to 1000, out of those I'm hopeing for 50% ratio.

Keep the best boys, and a few spares. Rest will be BBQ.

I kind of like that I don't have to worry about temp spikes this time of year.

L

·
0 Posts
Not only expensive, who wants chicks or ducklings in mid winter when its below 0? With the ducks, I only hatch in the spring, the older ones (ok, they are mainly pets!) become seasonal and often lay well in the spring so I have an excess of eggs for eating and can spare them to hatch without running out. Our place is small and in town, I don't need a lot of ducklings anyway. :)
Depends on your goals.

I have some experimentals that I need to hatch from ASAP so I can get the adults sold off. The majority of the chicks I won't be keeping.

And it only gets below 0 here about once every 10 years. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts