New to us used car question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Columbia,SC., Jun 29, 2006.

1. Columbia,SC.

Columbia,SC. Thats MR. Redneck to you

Hey all,
    We just brought home a 1998 Toyota Sienna mini van, (it has new tires, new brakes and all fluids ect.) we got it from a good dealer here in town. I went ahead and paid for an extended 100,000 mile (uptill 188,000 miles) 5 year bumper to bumper warrenty (covers everything, drive line, water pump, head gaskets, window motors, engine, trans, ect.) I can also transfer the warrenty to a new owner if we want to sell it.
    Does anyone have a van like this? I know this is too late to ask if you are happy with it.... but are you?
    This is a Toyota Sienna XLE. 88,000 miles and it was under the Kelly blue book value. We still have to get the CARFAX report but was guarenteed/SPC/ that it showed a clear and clean title with a buy back.
    It is a one owner and looks great/drives the same.
    Thanks in advance.
    Columbia,SC

2. WisJim

WisJim Well-Known Member Supporter

My opinion is that any later model (late 1980s or newer) Toyota or Honda is going to be a better vehicle than anything else of its age or price. Haven't had a Sienna, but are very happy with the other Toyotas and Hondas that we have owned, especially compared to Chevrolets and Fords.
    With the warranty that you purchased, it sounds like you have a better deal than a brand new vehicle, because of the tremendous depreciation in a new car.

3. clovis

clovis Well-Known Member

My uncle is a Toyota fan and driver. He had a '99 Seinna, and had a ton of problems with it. He bought the van new. Had to replace the master cylinder at a cost of $1400 at 38,000 miles. Toyota would not stand behind the repair.
    This was the most expensive repairs of the problems he had.
    clove

4. tiogacounty

tiogacounty Well-Known Member

If you are willing to do a serious preventative maintenance program, you should be able to get 250-300K out of this vehicle without any major issues. They have a reputation for reliablity that they have earned. I would change the brake fluid immediately, have the trans and cooling system flushed, and put these three items on a 2 year/30K schedule. You will be amazed at how much service this thing will give you for very little money. Good luck.

5. Columbia,SC.

a little worried about the timeing belt,,, we are at 88,800 miles and I am not sure if it is schedualled (SPC)? to be replaced at 90,000. due to the warrenty I have to get it done at the shop. I can do this but not allowed/not certified.
    This could add alot to the cost of the van that we don't really have!

Does anyone know about a GRACE period when buying used? Cell phones have 14 days,,what about used cars?

6. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Call the dealer back and see if they can eat the labor if you buy the parts.Since you just bought it and its due in just a couple k miles.

Thinking its probably chain and not a belt.

7. Columbia,SC.

That was my exact thought. I already called Autozone for fun,,a new belt is under $30. I know I would have to buy a Toyota cert. belt to comply with the warrenty tho.
    I should have walked away from the table untill I had it changed but I thought it was due at 60,000 not 90,000 and it should have already been done! still not 100% sure about the 90,000 mile thing,,, any Toyota ASA mechs. out here? No name EVER will be used, I just need help.
    One wife,two kids and a limited budget,, kinda stressed out now with the new to us van.
    Columbia,SC

8. foxtrapper

foxtrapper Well-Known Member Supporter

Not true, though they'd like you to believe it is. Federal law prohibits this restriction. Anyone can do the work, and as long as it's done properly, the warranty is not violated.

9. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

I had my timing belt replaced last year on my 01 Toyota Tundra. While they were at it, I had them replace the water pump as well. The belts were also replaced. total cost was $420. NON-toyota mechanic.

IMHO, you may as well have them replace the water pump at the same time as the timing belt. The other belts (alternator/water pump/etc) I replaced because I thought better safe than sorry.

By the way. The timing belt looked like it could have easily made it another 20000 miles. The thing about certain Toyota motors is that they are "interference" motors. If the timing belt breaks, its very possible to suffer severe engine damage.

10. Columbia,SC.

That is what I was scared of but they assured me that as long as I document all repairs with parts from Autozone ect. I should be ok,,

That was the news from the call we made this morning. I am thinking I will take pictures and have a dated news paper in the background for proof.. I am paronoid but this warrenty cost alot of money for us and I do not wish to throw it away because I forgot to ( dot the ' I ' ) if you know what I mean.