Homesteading Forum banner

New to this

420 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Deer Creek Farm 
#1 ·
Hello folks!
I recently inherited a small farm. (Just under 4 archers) Barns falling down and house is ok but in rough shape lol Dads favorite quot, " my heirs can fix it" pff I've live with gardens since a kid. learned how to do some things by watching and spending time with dad last few years. I've decided to try n make a go at it, (being dependant on God, the land and myself), bought 24 chickens lol given 5 n one rooster, he's busy! lol A couple spots where the garden was i let rest, the year dad died and this year. Was thinking about planting a garden just for the chickens. Any suggestions? I tried a PVC greenhouse but the first good storm took that out. Was thinking of doing a few smaller ones built the same way my coop is just a little bigger.(2X4s, and cattle panels) Think that would work? and there a few things i'm thinking about getting into to bring in income, soap making, deer hide tanning, maybe small knife making. Any other suggestions would be helpful. thanks for your ears! May Jesus bless you and keep you safe.

See less See more
#3 ·
I use to till and plow but in all honesty I found raised bed gardens produce plenty for the wife and I. We give away bushels every year and that's after we can. I built 4' wide by 10' long 20" high raised bed(s) using 4x4's (6 each 20" long in corners and middle), 2x10x10 (4 each for the sides), 2x10x8 (for the two ends cut at 4') and topped it off with some 1x6 to sit on. Fill it with hay/straw put 8-10" of topsoil on it and start planting. I wet my soil down to get it all packed in good. I usually add about 3-4 bags of potting soil and one bag of black cow and they seem to do good.

You can form up old sliding glass doors or windows in the winter to make it into a mini green house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.