New to the site and new to pigs- Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by TurnKey, Aug 11, 2004.

1. TurnKey

TurnKey Well-Known Member

Hi all! First I want to tell everyone that I'm happy to have found this board. It is exactly what I was looking for. After looking around a bit I decided that this is the place to "ask the experts" my questions. I've raised chickens, and turkeys for meat and keep about 50 laying chickens year round, but this is my rookie year with pigs. Questions:

1. How old should the piglets be when they are weaned/sold?

2. Should they be a certain weight when taken from the sow and sold to me to raise for butchering?

3. Exactly how determined are they to try to escape from their pen? I have an area fenced for my pygmy goats that I'd like to use, that is about 100ft long and 50 feet wide and plan on putting 5 pigs in there. I'm moving the goats to a new feeding area for them to clean out the underbrush there.

4. When should I worm them and is there any other medicines, vaccinations of stuff like that I need to do? I don't plan on breeding or keeping them around after they hit about 235 lbs.

Thanks for your time and your help. I'm sure that I'll have lots more to ask once my babies get here Saturday.

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

1. depends on the breed, and how wild they are. you might get by with as young as 1-2 weeks, but cold at night can be a problem and they would need baby-like food, maybe dog food made soft with milk. In general most wont be sold til 6-8 weeks

2 again depends on breed. If it can feed itself that's the main thing

3 VERY

4 when you get to your farm. I use Diatomaceous earth, just a little mixed with their daily feed takes care of gut worms and fly maggots in stool, and you dont have to worry about chemicals, liver toxicity etc. Vaccinations are unnecessary if they never encounter the virus/bacteria for which you vaccinate, so it depends on your acceptible level of risk

3. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

Welcome Turnkey! Hope you like it here. :)

GeorgeK pretty well covered all of your questions.
    Try getting some 30 to 40 lbers. Your pen sounds great, nice and large. They will try their hardest to get out. Hog panels that have smaller holes on the bottom than on the top are OK but sometimes they can even get through these.
    They will root under your fence too.
    I guess what I'm trying to say is, they are going to find a way to wiggle out, but you can coax them back with a feed bucket if they do. :D :D
    The little ones are so much fun to watch. Don't name any that you want to eat. :haha: :haha:
    Let us know how it goes!

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Finally have my ISP back on line and see your questions have been answered. Welcome :) I vaccinate routinely because of my area (high population of wild and feral swine) and use DE sparingly on the ground and in the feed for insect and parasite control. Don't know what you are fencing with but depending on how small they are when you get them, they could squeeze through the larger holes in cattle or combo panels and definitely through barbed wire . Good luck!