New to the idea

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by headintodawoods, Oct 5, 2004.

1. headintodawoods

headintodawoods Well-Known Member

My family is considering on moving up to N. Centra lArkansas and are looking for ways to help support the family. How profitable is raising and selling rabbits.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Chuck

2. adofus

adofus Member

Not that I am really able to answer your exact question since I am not in that area of the country, but....In this area...It's not. I can't GIVE away rabbits. See my ads in the barter board for FREE rabbits. No takers. So sell em? Yeah right. I've called pet stores, reptile stores, farmers market, tractor supply. Nothing. So if you do get into them, best of luck.
    ~Ado

3. Pat Lamar

Pat Lamar Well-Known Member Supporter

Now, I'm going to be perfectly honest with you. A lot depends on just *how* profitable you want to be. Raising rabbits strictly for a processor tends to have a fairly slim profit margin which requires large quantities in order to provide a living. You are fortunate to have our largest and oldest rabbit processing plant in your state, so finding a market really won't be that much of a problem (although there is a waiting list for selling to Pel-Freez). Pel-Freez accepts *only* New Zealand White rabbits.

Other factors contolling "profit" would be the cost of feed (not all brands and/or formulas cost the same, nor are all brands available nation-wide), local cost of living expenses, and your own management skills. As such, it is impossible to say just how profitable it may be for you, when it can be totally different for someone else.

There is a large variety of potential markets out there. I suggest you visit the "Commercial Rabbit Industries" web site and check out the articles in the "Alternative Markets" section at: http://www.3-cities.com/~fuzyfarm/ . The Raw Feeding and BARF markets are extremely popular, right now.

Pat Lamar
    President
    Professional Rabbit Meat Association
    http://www.prma.org/

4. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

I have been considering this myself and I think the best way to do it is to raise enough for your own purposes, and see if you like doing it, then advertise subscription rabbits, the subscribers would have to contract with you to raise the rabbits they order and pay for in advance (or at least the cost of the rabbit and 1/2 the feed). This is the only way I can see for raising any livestock and make some sort of profit on a small scale.

5. dale anne

dale anne Well-Known Member

Howdy...and welcome to arkansas!. I live in SW Arkansas and sell minitures as well as meat rabbits. I do not advertise I simple have a sign i painted and posted at the end of my driveway. I do fairly well but I must say the most of my rabbits I sell are for dog training. I f I were you I would pick up a local paper...The american classifis is a good paper to look into and see how many folks your way are selling rabbits.....good luck...dale anne

6. matt&roxy

matt&roxy Active Member

adofus,

Just wondering what breed of rabbit you are trying to get rid of. We are looking for rabbits, preferably NZ, to raise for our own eating. Also, where are you located, we are in KY.

This goes to any and all who have rabbits they would like to sell or give away.

7. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Start-up costs would include stock, cages, shelter, feed for a few months, and misc. I don't remember what the feed conversion is, PERHAPS 4-6 pounds of feed to produce one pound of saleable rabbit????

Sales costs would include the gas and the vehicle to get them to market. I don't know what sales price is offered by the local plant.

Why don't you call around, price what you need, and crunch the numbers?

8. BeatrixP

BeatrixP Active Member

Hi, Chuck. I live in NW Arkansas and raise my own meat rabbits, pigeons, and chickens. I would definitely advise you to follow up on the recommendations that Pat Lamar made on checking out alternate markets or try to talk to some of the major breeders in the area. If Pel-Freez has a waiting list, then the chances of making any profit on meat rabbits are slim, in my opinion. I go to swap meets (Fordland, MO) and auctions frequently and can buy as many 4-6 week old rabbits for $1 - $3 each as I want. Then, the seller is paying the auction house 20% of that in fees. I can buy them much cheaper than I can raise them. I only raise my own because I enjoy it and I am sure of how and what they were fed and how they were cared for. Not meaning to discourage you, but as Pat and others have suggested, do some homework before you decide.

9. dlwelch

dlwelch Well-Known Member

Pel-Freez releases new grower numbers within a couple of weeks
    after the quarterly production cards are returned to them. While
    there may be a "waiting list", sometimes it is only until they evaluate
    the projected production against their future sales. Contact them
    if you are serious (in the future) about commercial meat rabbits.
    I've known producers who submitted an application in September
    and were accepted before 10/15/04. Timing is everything!

Even if you are not accepted to have your rabbits picked up, the
    alternative (and this has been done) is to deliver to the plant.

Good luck with the move and rabbits in your future!