New to the Homestead site

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by gmom, Jul 21, 2004.

1. gmom

gmom Well-Known Member

Hello from Ky I discovered this site when looking up info on Kefir and goats milk.
    My DH and I are not exactly homesteaders but we enjoy outdoors and gardening. Looking forward to learning and sharing information with everyone.
    My garden has come in and I would love to see your garden photos and share these photos with you. :)

http://community.webshots.com/user/adamsx3

2. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

3. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

Very nice garden! I can't believe how big your plants are already. I guess a couple hundred miles south of me makes a BIG difference. I have been thinking of a green house. I just don't have the time, or I'm not around enough to try to harden off the young plants before putting them out in the garden.

Here is my web page. A little of everything.
    Steve
    http://www2.wcoil.com/~buckrun/

4. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

Wow! Nicely done ... everyone!

Gmom, your tomatoes are beautiful. :) I have lots of green tomatoes on my plants, but none yet ripe. Although I'm becoming increasingly suspicious that the reason I have no ripe tomatoes is my supposedly critter-proof tomato patch isn't so critter proof. :rolleyes:

Good inspiration! :D

5. Enchanted orb

Enchanted orb New Member

Lovely.

I have inherited an overgrown jungle with an old sick apple tree. Which I know will have to be felled. :waa:

6. Buckrun

Buckrun Well-Known Member

I tried to check out your link to THE UNDERGROUND SOCIETY. Why do you have to sigh up before you can even read posts? I always read a lot before I sign up. Just to make sure I want to be a part of the forum.
    Steve

Sorry I am not trying to hi jack this thread. :eek:

7. Paquebot2

Paquebot2 Guest

Buckrun, many forums are like that. Mother Earth News is also like that. You can't even peek at it without registering. There is even one portion of Homesteading Today which is not available to non-registered users. Many others only allow registered members to post. Our forum is one of the more flexible ones such as now when I am posting as a guest rather than a registered member. The system works well while keeping most of the weeds and pests out of the garden.

Martin

8. gmom

gmom Well-Known Member

We don't have apples but the neighbor does. We gave her tomatoes and she ask up to take all her apples from her tree. The deer were the only ones eating them.
    So today the heat index is 109 and the greenhouse is full of sliced apples drying on the shelves lined with wax paper. It smells wonderful in there. My green house was a little shed in the yard that was quite an eyesore when we bought the house.
    My DH started to take it down and he discover when he removed the roofling and exposed the frame that it would be perfect for a Greenhouse. He took the siding halfway down the sides. Left a small window on one side. He then cover it with two layers of 6mm plastic, one inside the frame and one outside.
    In the early spring when it is 35-40 outside on a sunny day it is easily 65 inside the Greenhouse. Our next project will be to get water out to it. As you can see we have an extension cord for electricity.
    We want to plant a couple of apple trees but are undecided on what kind we want. We are in zone 6 any suggestions?

9. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter