New to the goat world

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Farm boy88, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Farm boy88

Farm boy88 Active Member

Hi
    I am looking in to getting a goat or two in the spring to raise for meat. My first ? is this, how tall a fence do I need. I know that a dairy breed will jump a five foot one but I am thinking that the meat breeds are not so jumpy. How much space should i have for them? I need to read up on this again.

Tom

2. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I have Nigerian Dwarve's (the tiny ones) I use 4' feild fence (goat preferrably and woven not welded). Hot wire 12" from bottom, and hot wire at the top. Its the only fencing I have rigged that keeps them in for sure. Not one break out of that fence yet. The electric keeps down the curiosity. Any fence I have that does not have electridc line around the bottom has pretty much been destroyed. Its cheaper to do it right the first time and they will leave yor fencing be. They learn real quick that they dont like the hot wires. Good luck

3. Farm boy88

Farm boy88 Active Member

Thanks. I have some used fence that I think I can get cheep. Old owners moved and the new owner is letting me farm the fields. :sing:

Tom

4. ozark_jewels

ozark_jewels Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi Tom,
    I keep my goats behind a 4-strand electric(very hot!!)fence. The fence is about three foot high. No one has jumped. I have mostly dairy, but several Boers as well. The more space you can give them, the easier they will be to contain since they won't get bored as easy, and they will have more to browse on. For two goats, I would like to have at least an acre enclosed for them to browse on. Good luck! Goat meat is great....(just had roast goat with tomato, lettuce, and mayo in a pita.....YUM!!)