New to Sheep with lots of questions

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Shannonmcmom, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Shannonmcmom

Shannonmcmom Well-Known Member

Hello,

We are new to the sheep industry. We have 5 sheep ( 4 ewes and 1 ram) and 3 lambs ( 1 ram and 2 ewes). We have been having major problems with our 1 ewe who had the twin ewe lambs. She has had foot rot, foot scald??? something wrong with her feet. I believe that she had foundered shortly after we got her as the kids were being very generous with the rolled barely. She has maggots in her one foot and everytime we try to soak it she kicks and then the maggots crawl up into her foot.. Also she is still kind of oozing something out of her vagina. Not big drips or anything, she passed her afterbirth okay, but the other ewe we have that had a baby doesn't have anything like that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have tried trimming the hoof down but the seperation on the hoof is really bad. I don't know how far down a person should trim. We are using 10 cc of penicillian, soaking the foot in salt water, rinsing with and iodine solution and using KopperKare. I mean her feet are really painfull, she still is standing to eat but she hobbles around.

I don't want to cull her as she is a really good mother.

Any advice would be great...

Thank you ,

Shannon

2. Laurie J

Laurie J Well-Known Member

Hello!

You have foot rot if there are maggots. We have it in our goats, and this is what we do. She needs to soak in a zinc sulfate solution. I don't think salt water is doing anything for her. If you give her a shot of oxytetracycline she should be able to walk much better in a day or two. Besides trimming we wash the area between hooves with a product called Dr. Nailers Foot and Hoof (can pick up at the feed store). Mind you, this is all just basically a "bandaid"....foot rot is very difficult to irradicate completely and permanently. We were recently talking to our vet, and she has began using a new antibiotic on foot rot. Not sure of the spelling, but it sounds like "new-floor". She said she was having more luck with that than the oxytetracycline. Good luck. Once you have foot rot, it's a continuous battle.

~Laurie

3. bergere

bergere Just living Life

You need to get the maggots out of her foot before they eat it away.
    Use lots of Hydrogen peroxide, get some gloves and tweezers, flush with the Hydrogen peroxide and pick all the maggets out of her hoof.
    Once you have all of the maggots out.... Then Spray with "Catron IV". This spray is going to have to be done twice a day until the wound heals up.

4. quailkeeper

quailkeeper Well-Known Member

She should not be leaking anything. How long ago did she lamb? Are you SURE she passed the afterbirth? Could she possibly still have a lamb inside?

5. livestockmom

livestockmom Well-Known Member

I agree with Bergere, Hydrogen Peroxide will work wonders at getting in there and flushing the pockets out. Also, a diluted solution of bleach and water , bleach kills everything, won't bubble like hydrogen Peroxide, but will sure clear up anything going on. Yes, Follow up with Catron IV as Bergere suggested.
    For her discharge, how long has it been since she delivered the ewe lambs?
    Some will continue to clean out for awhile while others don't...
    Are you in a Selinium deficient area? Do you use BOSE at birth?

6. Shannonmcmom

Shannonmcmom Well-Known Member

Thank you for the info will definately try it. What is Catron IV and what is BOSE? The sheep all have access to ewe mineral blocks as well as salt blocks. She isn't really having lots of stuff coming out but she is just a little bit gooey. It is just that our other ewe didn't have anything after. And I am positive she passed the afterbirth as I cleaned it out of the pen. She had the babies on July 25.

What is the best way to clean the hoof. Should we flip her on her back? I will do as much as I can. She is still mobile.

Question about docking tails. Do we have to? I have the elastics for doing it, but their tails are really cute. Our ram he still has all of his tail and never has problems. Is it more for when they are lambs, that the docked tail is neater?

Thank you again.

7. bergere

bergere Just living Life

The ewes will not get enough minerals from blocks as they have no upper teeth. Loose minierals would be better for them.

You can gently put her onto her back but you are going to need at least two other people to try to keep her still.
    If you are not sure about it, call a local Vet to help you out the first time.

The reason most people dock the tails on some breeds of sheep, is to keep fly strike from killing their sheep. Fly Strike is when there is a lot of wool around their backside, which can stay moist, flys lay eggs, and the maggots eat your sheep slowly from the inside out.
    At the same time, you will want to leave enough tail to cover their privates.
    Normally band just on the other side of the fold.

Have they had their tetanus shots yet? If not, before you band you should at least give them that vaccine.

What breed of sheep do you have?

If you are not sure about any of this, having a Vet or another Shepherd that has been in the business awhile and that you trust, to help you out the first time is always a plus.

Here is what Catron IV is..
    http://www.productionvalues.us/product_sites/CatronIV/reference.html

Good luck!