New to sheep, bummer lamb??

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by SherrieC, Apr 9, 2004.

1. SherrieC

SherrieC Well-Known Member

We have aquired a bummer lamb, I am feeding him lamb replacer, two 20 oz bottles a day, and grain(corn, barley, oats, beet pulp, sunflower seeds). I think he is about a month old. I just gave him his CD&T is there any other preventative meds this baby needs oral or otherwise such as coccidiosis prev or wormer?? Goats I know but sheep :no: , baby baabaa thanks you :D

2. LeahN

LeahN Well-Known Member

If he's eating hay and grain, and chewing a cud, and weights 25-30 lbs, you can start weaning him from the bottle...gradually water it down until he's only drinking water from it. We have a 32 day old bum lamb that we're in the process of weaning...we also have a 2 week old one. Each was born in a set of twins and the ewes accepted their siblings, but not them (they're pretty cute...one white, one jet black with a white star on her head). We offer our bum lambs hay, and cracked corn mixed with soybean meal from day one. Be sure you booster the CD&T in a few weeks. I usually do the first one at 10 weeks when I wean, and then booster when its supposed to be boostered (we use Covexin8...I forget whether its 3 or 6 weeks between doses). I worm them for the first time with oral ivermectin at 10 weeks, if they've been on pasture (which all mine are).
    I've read that monensin (coccidia control) helps lambs put weight on faster, but I don't think its approved for sheep so you'd have to get your vets approval. We don't use it though...haven't had a need. I figure if we haven't had a coccidia problem, why use treatment. One thing you should know is that sheep can't tolerate the amount of copper in goat feeds and mineral suppliments. Never feed a sheep feeds meant for other animals, especially goat feed, since most other livestock feeds and minerals have too much copper. You won't see the damage immediately...its long term damage that will show up later.
    Have fun with your lamb!
    Leah

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Well said Leah, I'd only want to restate that a CD/T shot is not normally enough protection for a sheep.