new to raising sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by mimi6580, Apr 15, 2005.

1. mimi6580

mimi6580 New Member

I am new to this forum, also new to raising sheep. I have 10 sheep. my question is what do you do with the wool? Is there a market for it? Seems a shame to just discard it. any help would be great

thanks

2. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

It really depends on where you are and what type of sheep you have...The only market for my sheep's wool is me and my own spinning because I have Suffolks - the fleeces go for so cheap that it really doesn't provide any real income. I have 5 sheep, which means I can't for the life of me get anyone else out here to shear them, either! Nobody in the tri-state area will come out for less than 100 head. *sigh*

BUT - if you have a good wool breed, check with the shearers and see where they take the wool they get. Some people auction on Ebay, though I haven't seen real good results of that. Check with other sheep breeders in your area and see what they do with theirs. There is a sticky at the top that mentions wool processors, too - you might have better luck sending a fleece in to be processed before you sell it?

Good luck!

Sarah

3. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

I spin and weave the fiber from my sheep. About half of the first fleece I ever sheared turned out to be un-spinnable so my husband is using that to soak up oil spills in the shop. Birds like it for nests...

Seriously, it depends on what breed of sheep you have and if the fleece is colored or not. Also, it helps if you have ready access to craft shows or know people who spin (fiber addicts are always looking for more fiber).

4. Shahbazin

Shahbazin Well-Known Member

This FAQ might give you some ideas: http://www.zwool.com/FAQ.htm
    Basically, as said, it depends on breed of sheep (type of wool), quality of wool (not full of mud or plant bits & burrs or second cuts - extra bits taken off to even up when shearing), color & length of wool.