New To Pigs

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by bretthunting, Dec 20, 2005.

1. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

Ok all
    i have never raised pigs before and am contemplating on getting 2-3 for meat.
    my last concern is keeping them confined,you see, i have several horses that would go absolutly nuts if the pigs got out and they seen them (they have never seen a pig) and there are many things that i think they could/would tear up. i guess my 2 fold question is:what is the best/cheapest way to pen them in and just how hard are they to keep in.i will be getting weaned pigletts.

2. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Well, you will surely get several different answers, but here is what works for me. I have wood posts on 8ft. centres. I stapled basic farm fence to the posts (on the inside of the enclosure) with the small squares on the bottom. I then nailed 1x6 or 2x6 to the posts over the wire fencing right along the bottom. In some instances, it was necessary to do some digging to get the boards to sit relatively flat along the ground. They will always root along the fence for some reason. This will stop them from rooting under a bit and then pushing the fence up so they can squirt under. Haven't had an escapee yet. I think one key is to make your enclosure big enough to keep them interested and make sure that there is always good food, clean water and fresh bedding....they won't want to leave! The other easier way still is to run a strand of electric along the bottom at about 8 inches and then another at about 14 inches. This will quickly teach them that the fences are evil and they won't go near them......until the power goes out. I think that the stories or escaped pigs are mostly from fences that were sub-standard or hap hazardly put together. If you can keep you horses in, you can keep a pig in! Have fun and bon apetit.

3. Snafu177

Snafu177 Well-Known Member

I have solid wood at least 2' from bottom up,Mine have never tryed to get out,just keep the feed there.
    But your biggest concern will be to get a self waterer that will hold 80 to 100 gal.
    You will not want to use a bowl of any type,they will flip it over always.
    And a old self feeder with the doors they have to flip up,so they dont watse much feed.

4. John Schneider

John Schneider Well-Known Member

Totally agree with the self feeder...I use a one of those heated buckets in my sow pen with four sows. I have it hanging from a nail on a fence post...no tipping or spilling, but some sort of freeze proof self waterer would be nice. Our stock waterer keeps freezing on me.

5. Snafu177

Snafu177 Well-Known Member

I got a plastic one that I just put a heater in from the fill hole,no problems with freezing.
    Cant let it get to empty or they will have it pushed all over the place.