New to Pigs Want Piglets

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by Susan-DonB, Nov 8, 2004.

1. Susan-DonB

Susan-DonB Member

Hi Everyone,

We are wanting to raise 3 or 4 pigs for meat next spring/summer and want to find somewhere to buy piglets. We live in North Carolina.

2. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

Susan-DonB, what kind of pigs are you looking to raise? Standard domestic, Pot Bellied or Domestic X PB's.

3. dla

dla Well-Known Member

:) I thought they came in sausage, ham and pork chop varieties :)

(sorry, suburban housewife trying to get used to the farm here - had to be silly)

4. Susan-DonB

Susan-DonB Member

I agree with suburban housewife, I want pork chop, bacon, ham varieties. OK, here goes the story I was too embarrased to tell.
    Last week we were given a pig that a family in the city found a year ago and raised for a year in their backyard. We were told by farmer friends that it WAS NOT a potbelly. We were encouraged, we had a 2-300 lb FREE pig and visions of ham, rib roasts, chops, etc! Took it to the processor and the first thing the guy says is, "it's a potbelly." So, based on what he tells me I now have 300 lbs of lard! Can we spell p.i.e.c.r.u.s.t? :waa:

So, we are hoping to get 50 lbs of meat off it, hek it was free!

So I want a pork breed NOT potbellies or any pet breeds.

Thanks for the reply.
    Susan (reformed cityslicker)

5. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Susan, we also live in N.C. & can get you about any variety pig your looking for. I know of a litter that should be close to weaning very soon , they are a Duroc, Hamp cross. good meat hogs. where are you located, N.C is a big state. We are in Roxboro, which is up on the Va border, mid state above Durham.
    you can reach me by direct e-mail at beeeman at chater.net
    change at to @ of course.

6. beeman97

beeman97 Well-Known Member

Susan, we also live in N.C. & can get you about any variety pig your looking for. I know of a litter that should be close to weaning very soon , they are a Duroc, yorkshire, spotted poland china crosses. good meat hogs. where are you located, N.C is a big state. We are in Roxboro, which is up on the Va border, mid state above Durham.
    you can reach me by direct e-mail at beeeman at chater.net
    change at to @ of course.

7. Susan-DonB

Susan-DonB Member

Thanks beeman, we are not ready to take them on yet, and I was told it is better to raise them for slaughter in Dec or Jan? So we planned on getting them in June or July?

I am going to do some research on breeds and your advice is appreciated. Finding someone in state is nice, I spoke to someone in SC that is willing to come to NC to sell some also. I live in Stokes county about 15 minutes from the VA border. We are in a community called Sandy Ridge.

8. breezynosacek

Pot bellied pigs can be good meat pigs if they are raised properly.

Look for GeorgeK on this forum and follow the links he lists. All kinds of info for raising Pot Belly pigs for eating.

Wonderful thing bout potbellies is that people are indeed giving them away for free. We got 4 free, one was pregnant and she had her litter, even though it is a small litter of 3 a couple of weeks ago. Now, the four adults are breeding stock until we get some replacements and by that time, we should have the adults slimmed down a bit to a healthy size.

Then, we are being given two others for free.

These pigs will stay pretty lean if taken care of properly.

There are a couple of others on here that are raising pot bellies to eat.

9. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

20 years ago i raised some potbellies and they had the best ham.
    they are more fat than other,true, but you can alway make lard.
    where do you get them for free? iwould take one too
    :)

10. second_noah

second_noah Local Yokel

Wow. This pig stuff is tricky.

I thought pigs came in like 3 or 4 varieties:

Farm pigs - the giant hogs

Pot bellies

Vietnamese pot bellies

And like just a regular pig

.....and I had no idea you could eat potbellied pigs...well that anyone here in the US did anyways...man, don't let the HS and all these rescue orgs find out! They wanna make a pet out of everything, even if it's overpopulated.

I have a friend that wants to raise swine for food...wonder what kinda pigs he's lookin in to...

11. breezynosacek

I just hunted all over the internet until I found some locally for free. We have two more coming free they are both females so we will have some more breeders.

Just put the word out. There are a LOT of PB'd pigs available. I wouldn't necessarily let them know you are going to eat them unless they ask point blank.

The lady I got these from had them as pets and yet she has been a country girl long enough to realise that they are 'food'. She knew before we got them that we would eventually butcher them.

The trouble with the shelters is that they spay and neuter them and ask you to sign a paper that you will not breed them or butcher them. So, me thinks that perhaps they may not be spaying all of them or neutering all of them.
    How can you breed something that is spayed or neutered?

Like I said, we just put the word out and low and behold we got some more.

12. breezynosacek

Pot bellies that are obese do not make good food quality pigs, but if you have access to one and are willing to be patient while it tones up and loses a little weight, they can be made healthy again if they aren't crippled up because of their weight.

Now the oldest sow we have right now was severely obese when we got her. You couldn't even see her feet. We just realized the other day that she has white socks on her forehocks! She is doing much better now. We will let her have one more litter and if she is a good mommy, then we will keep her a little while longer, if not we will butcher her.

13. stellie

stellie Well-Known Member

I know you're VERY far away to even consider getting piglets from us -- or even from the large-operation hog farm just east of us (we're in Greensville County, VA), but I would suggest trying to pin-point a large-scale hog operation for free piglets. Usually they have 'runts' in droves (we would pick up anywhere from one to 45 each week from the operation near us) and they would only end up killing them if we didn't pick them up.

Wouldn't hurt to ask around your area, though :) They're the best pigs! We've got piglets from them already! (from last summer's bunch)

14. breezynosacek

That's a cool idea if you don't have a money tree in your back yard and need to get some growing fast. But, I'm not trying to naysay you here. If these are domestic pigs, don't they, being runts, gain weight a lot slower? Or doesn't it matter? Perhaps though, being free, you can pay a little more in feed or wait a while. Then again, not everybody has to have a huge pig to butcher, especially being free.