Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, all :)

Last fall we bought 12 acres in southern Wisconsin. apple orchard, pasture, lots of woods. Our plan is free range poultry (which we started this spring and it's going great), goats and pigs. Or maybe a highland cow and steer instead of goats. (Need to get better fencing before turning goats loose ;) )

Now, my purpose for this post. I'm looking for breeders of Large Blacks and/or Gloustershire Old Spots. We'd like to have a breeding sow or two, and sell piglets. (along with raising a couple for meat). (I don't mind driving great distances to pick up piglets, either....love to drive :) )

Also, any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. I'm thinking this year should be used for getting ready for the larger animals, but if I find someone with piglets for sale this fall, it wouldn't be difficult to raise a young'un or two over winter.

We're also open to advice on getting other breeds....I'm not dead set on ONLY LargeBlacks and OldSpots.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Piglady has Large blacks and has some pictures of a new litter just a couple of threads down.

John Schneider is also a member here who has large blacks.

You also might check www.largeblackhogs.com.

The Old Spots are gonna be more difficult to find, I'm afraid.

There is a lot of info in some of the back threads. Read through some of those, and if you have specific questions, ask away. Someone will surely have an answer or suggestion for you.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Check with your local extension offices, or go to your county fair if its not past yet...or the state fair if it has, and visit the pig barn to find the pigs you want and connections to people who have them :) I think I found someone in Kansas who has them..(thats where *I* am) but Kansas is a bit of a drive :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.